Blue Valentine

Hola Bleurgher-boos...I had to share this post after I watched the new Ryan Gosling flick, Blue Valentine. I WOULD say its a must see just so we can all dribble and oogle at Ryan together (trust me, his Notebook charm has NOT worn off) but its SUCH a sad tale! I really DID expect a love story, someone shoot me and ask WHY I didn't read the synopsis...but I saw Ryan and watched the trailer (which by the way, is NOT very indicative of what the movie's about) and I was sold *blush*.
LOVING this new Nail Paint effect by Barry M...I recommend everyone of you dolls to get it...its SO cool! Can't wait to plaster this baby over just about every colour I own lol.
Clear Base & Topcoat Varnish and Nail Effect : Barry M | #60 Blue Nailvarnish - O'Baila
I guess as a single black female, and a self-confessed Sucka4Luv, I'm worried about whats out there and getting back in the game. The thought that you could be stuck with someone for the rest of your life as a matter of convenience is not the future I am anticipating living out.
 Sorry for the camera quality and novice-style photography. I leant my camera to my friend **Toy-Toy for her Dental Ball (I did her makeup and styled her hair for it so I will do a BLEURGH on that me thinks)...so please, go easy on me, I know the megapixels are shyzzer.
Coming from an African family (and you guys are welcome to contradict me if you feel different), I've never really witnessed true, swept-off your feet kinda romance in the household. Theres the odd romantic gesture on Valentines' Day and the sneaky cheeky stare from across the room when couples share a joke at someone's expense, but other than young newlyweds, most african couples I see seem to remain united cos of their kids. A friend once told me of a couple she knew that the dad had slept on the couch for 15years! Guys....FIFTEEN years?!? Like, whats the point??
Finger Candy : Topshop / Miss Selfridge |  Velvet Emerald Beads : cousins
Black & Gold beads : H&M | Emerald & Gold clasp : gift after Bollywood Dance performance
Watch : Guess | Belt : **Mother's
Blue Valentine chronicles, through flashbacks and whatnots, the story of an ageing couple (yes Ryan Gosling is a balding, pot-bellied loser rocking a wife-beater off-white tank for much of the movie) who battle the pressures of broken dreams and a whirlwind romance turned ....nah! No spoilers! LOL But it gives the option at the end that no other love story (apart from 500 Days of Summer which you guys HAVE to see btw) has given...is it a crime to walk away when love fails? Or is it not that the love failed, but was never there to begin with? 

"Gotta be careful that the person you fall in love with is worth it to you" Blue Valentine

My sister (in her pessimist years, before finding the love of her....we'll chill on that one) always threw this theoretic question, "do we ever really fall in love or just grow fonder of the person who's always 'around'?" That question is one that rings in my head everytime I hear of bestfriends hooking up or people breaking up and the girl claiming "I never really liked him you know?". And sadly, that was the one question answered at the end of Blue Valentine.... *sigh*
Its a well known fact (Year of the Husband) that most girls my age spend TOO much of their time planning the perfect wedding with Prince Charming, and our future lives (what I call 'The 25 Plan' but thats another BLEURGH for another day). How then is it possible to just succumb to a Plan B after all that time and effort? BV (yes, I am on fam terms with the movie to abbreviate...don't hate) highlights the main reason...convenience. Girls get comfortable REAL easy, as long as they are getting what they want at that time. Its SO easy to just settle cos they guy's offering you security at a time you are most vulnerable (an issue I highlighted in Love and Other Drugs), but that can't seriously work in the longterm. I guess thats the cufuffle that some couples (most espesh, the african ones I spoke about earlier) face now. When the 'love' fades, all thats left is that initial, misinterpreted 'comfort'...so you better hope that poor boo is cosy enough to snuggle with or that union is gonna reach next levels of discomfort!
Loved Michelle Williams since she starred on Dawson's Creek but all that Goslin-action, and him raving and ranting about her beauty got me all irritated and jealous that I couldn't quite appreciate her performance. I DID love her giddy, lovestruck tapdance though...too CUTE! And OMG guys....the sex scene *covers eyes and blushes*...its A LOT!! Had to watch it 3 times....to show my flatmate ofcourse!
Fur Neckcandy (detached from jumper) : Etam | Jacket : ZARA
Cardigan : Urban Behaviour (American Boutique) | Trousers : Primark | Pumps : H&M
"I feel like men are more romantic than women. When we get married, we marry like, one girl. 'cause we're resistant the whole way until we meet that one girl and we think "I'd be an idiot if I didn't marry this girl, she's so great!". But it seems like girls get to a place where they just kinda pick the best option..."Oh! He's got a good job". I mean, they spend their whole life looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy who's got a good job and is gonna stick around." 
Blue Valentine
Check out my BLEURGHsession, Black Girls Are Easy's review too. Xisses

24 comments

  1. i haven't seen blue valentine yet, but i def. wanna see it. my friends are the same too they wanna get married to'prince charming'a rich guy that has all of his stuff together but they don't have their stuff together and they wait around for a guy that possibly doesn't exist. sorry for the longg comment. great post love the nails, the hair, the outfit! this is a fierce combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your outfit and the post, very interesting...xx

    http://followmein5inchheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like this outfit!~
    i think i need to watch Blue Valentine plus its orange wed..haa

    www.lollihearts.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you for your truly well-written thoughts about this whole topic. I agree with a lot of what you're saying, especially just the whole "settling" thing. Also, I love your outfit so much... You really look great. How would I try that effect on my nails? Can you explain that a little more?

    -Kate


    P.S. Thanks for being a part of the CleartheWay community at IFB. Contribute often, it is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hot mani! i also love the touch of fur!

    xx raez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! It made my day!
    You're amazing!
    Following you!
    Hope you follow me too!
    http://cutenerdglasses.blogspot.com/
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen the movie but my friend has told me about it. Yh the African thing is kinda true, the stories I've "accidentally"overheard when my mum and her friends thought I wasn't listening just has me wondering sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this outfit mate!

    www.thecocoalook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the outfit. very cute.
    I really need to watch blue valentine. wanna see what the fuss is all about. And its so true what you say about African couples. They really are not one for open affection and more content with settling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect outfit! and I really love your nailpolish! blue looks so great to your skin tone! AMAZING!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  11. thosee are behind the scenes videos from the new ck one fragrance campaign by steven meisel :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful read...haven't heard of Blue Valentine but maybe it's cos im in the woods here. Some of the things you say ring true and i wonder what guys must feel if we 'girls' think that way sometimes.
    That girl from Wall Street 2 reminds me of Michelle Williams and i know what you mean about D.Creek.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look so pretty;)
    Fabulous nail paint effect:)I love it
    I just found your blog,it's very cute.I added to your followers:)
    Xoxo
    Mary
    fashionteaat5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love it ! juste beautiful

    enviedeladyd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look amazing here! I LOVE all of your jewelry and that outfit looks amazing on you. I totally want to watch blue valentine, I'm a sucker for a good sad movie :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed reading this post and love the outfit! :)


    New follower, come check mine: http://live-laugh-love-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your complete outfit...i'm thinking I should see that movie now...the story is right up my alley...lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I *love* this post, especially the bit about romance in African families is different to what people perceive in the West (Come on Nollywood! Catch up!)
    I think being obsessed with romance in the first place is what gets a lot of people. I know some peopl - okay, I'm going to say it, girls who have bloody shopping lists for what they want in a guy. And they usually start with the looks first, which we all know that isn't the greatest indicator of personality ¬_¬
    So their Prince Charming may be out there - but look different to what they'd imagined/hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your hair is looking on point! Nicely done!

    Marz
    www.sparkmarz.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I seen this done at the nail salon, I may try it with a brighter color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, sorry for the previous essay! ^.^ I love writing lists, they make me feel so organised (but fulfilling them - uh, so hard!).
    I think it's just because girls think about it a lot more. I've never in my life heard any of my guy friends whine "Why don't I have a girrrrlfriend? She has to have these qualifications!" They find someone they like. They pursue. Done.
    Also, be careful, lest I see you and hi-jack that polish from you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. very very cute! since i dont come on here as much as i would like too i am raping your comment box! lol xoxo Ty

    ReplyDelete