The Heart Has A Backbone

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues,they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Blazer : Littlewoods Direct Warehouse (Flint) | Shirt : Primark | High-Waisted Trousers : Marks &Spencers
After watching show after show, reading book after book, and viewing movie after movie, I was enraged by the flimsy status 'love' was starting to hold in the media. The straw that broke the camel's back was catching up on the entire last season of 90210...oh! I went to bed with my blood boiling and my mind working in overtime. Why proclaim love for one person only to be blown away by another? Why profess undying affection for one person, only to be torn by the power of lust for another? No, love is not blown away by spineless words, or staggered by questioning.
Studs : Primark | Necklace : eBay | Rings : H&M | Arm Candy : collected from Gran Canaria, Scotland &Nigeria | Heels : Miss Selfridge (birthday gift)
The question that came up time and time again was whether one could love more than one person at a time? Without mention about philia or agape kinda loving, they are speaking of 'love' as though it were a hollywood career that could be steered in any which direction called. Love has backbone. I have been involved in several debates of late concerning the value of marriage in modern day society. Not in regards to same-sex unions, but in the sense of it being no more than a contractual/legal document binding two parties together. According to the sceptics, 'love' is a modern social construction, and marriage proves nothing of the partnership than making a formal commitment to remain together. My coworker cited age-old unions being an economical investment for families to rise in heirarchy, or gain more power, with the ideal of love being a new phenomenon. I beg to differ. I cite the bible, greek mythology, etc as evidence that 'love' is timeless.
My coworker's viewpoint is that marriage is forcing one to remain in a union even when change has taken effect. In my opinion, change is inevitable; the most constant thing in life. Marriage serves as the next step of commitment for partners, not to be embarked on a whim in vegas. Yes, some shotgun unions last a lifetime, but the odds are slim. So also, is the idea that the 'love' you felt at the beginning of the relationship, will remain the same 50 years down the line. I'm not the same as I was 10 years ago, so how can I expect my partner to be? Change should be embraced along with love, in order for progress to occur. The rebellion against change, or the denial of growth in a union, is what tears most eyes away from the prize of fidelity, and into the arms of adultery.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Love is being confused with lust, but in order to truly love, a firm foundation is a must. Xisses

33 comments

  1. another great and insighful post!

    i agree about 90210...especially Silver who has loved about 4 of the guys! hollyoaks is guilty of the same foolishness.....the word love is flung every which way it actually degrades the ideal x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      and yes! Silver...Adrianna...Annie...Don't get me started on Naomi and that surfer chic. Such flimsy professions of love, only to be swept away by lust. Its spineless and misleading...such a false depiction

      Delete
  2. Those are some cute shoes. Love the pop of red, too.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hunnie. Got it from my bestie for my birthday last year :)

      Delete
  3. Love your posts, so cute..visit my blog. I'm new to the blogging world, it's mainly about music.

    http://yourstrulylola.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou sweetie, and I'll be sure to check out your blog.
      WELCOME!

      Delete
  4. I'm finally back to reading blogs again and yours is the first I started with - I love your thought process.

    I've been having this conversation a lot lately...especially given that so many of my friends are getting engaged/married. Some have been together less than a year while others longer.

    I share your view that the word "love" is banded about far too freely and has been considerably devalued. Sadly I don't think this will improve any time soon. Marriage is the next step in a committed couples relationship and thus not something to be entered into lightly.

    To me it is more than a contractual obligation. My parents have been married 28 years and together 33. They've both changed over the years but are still very much in love and I look forward to being just like them one day [God willing].

    Keep up the good work hun!
    xx

    http://complex-simpliciti.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww this warmed my heart! THANKYOU Asumpta :)

      And yes, as have I. I completely agree with you.
      I hope to one day find the love that quenches all doubt that its a mere figment.

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely going to have to cosign your argument regarding love! Why do people want to "modernize" love? It's insane! By the way, I'm loving your entire look woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! What IS 'modern' love anyway?
      Love is timeless

      And thanks sweetie xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely outfit my love! Heart the blazer, gives a nice pop of colour xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. I find monochrome & red to be such a classic combo....never fails

      Delete
  7. I totally agree with you. I know I've been longing for the kind of love I read in Greek Myths and sometimes I chide myself and say "not in this day and age, there's ₪Ö love like that now"

    Love your blazer. Cute outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww you will find that kind of love hun. Don't lose faith, its out there :) (and well worth the wait...well, thats what I tell myself LOL)

      Thanks btw x

      Delete
  8. love your blazer! Really great outfit. maybe you like to follow each other? Let me know on our blog:) we follow you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that jacket is so stunning! and yes a firm foundation is everything when building a healthy relationship :D

    -Jessica
    http://runninginsideus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun
      And I agree...build it from the ground up, and its hard to break down. Simples...

      Delete
  10. Love the crop top and red jacket! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whooooooo! Girl, I was so tempted to do the praise dance all up and down this post! You better PREACH girl. Yes!!

    I have been contemplating this topic for a while now . It bothers me because people have really reduced the idea of love and marriage to butterflies in the stomach. When it's all subsided, everyone wants to leave. No one wants to work at marriage any more, ads can't say I blame then because we have very little examples. Love this post.

    Oh, and you look cute look

    ~Sherine

    Stop by and say HI!

    Confessions Of A City Girl 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Coming from you....tres flattered *blushes*

      Delete
  13. The blazer is stunning! You look good hun x

    La Sugarlace

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cropped jacket, it looks great on you :)
    Pop by and visit my blog Taken By Surprise! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Its actually just a petite blazer...lol

      Delete
  15. I love the Jacket, It is stunning, i love it!


    I am following you, please it would mean a lot to me if you followed back via GFC at http://allofthatgoodstuff.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweety. Just a simple blazer. I'm glad you're a new follower :)

      Delete
  16. Your coworker's view of love and marriage saddens me.. But in general I agree with your view point...especially that of not to expect the love in the initial stages of a relationship to be the same in 50 years...even 5. That is a dangerous misconception..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It saddened me too.
      Exactly! love is meant to be everlasting...through thick and thin.
      The media have amplified the idea of lust and cotton wooled it as the ideal for love.
      Lust fades. What follows is companionship, trust, understanding, tolerance...etc. Without which, the foundations of a relationship crumble

      Delete