Schoolin' Life

I was overwhelmed by the feedback of the previous post, and thought to shed light on an issue that's been queried time and time again. The NEED for education. I grew up in a home with higher degree holding parents. Instilled from a very young age was the idea that in order to achieve great things, one had to put in work from an early stage. "No sweet without sweat" mother says. Myself and my siblings set our sights on the professions, and thus, the only means of achieving success in the professions is via education.
Jumper : JJB Sports (Manchester) | Shirt : Blanco (Gran Canaria) | Skirt : H&M
That's not to say there aren't other means of achieving success. I beg to question whether there are easier ways, as advanced in the previous post; "nothing in life comes easy, and if it does, it sure as hell wont last" (tweaked Mummy's quote a bit, but you get where I'm coming from). I watched Beyonce's 'life is but a dream' documentary a few weeks back, and it struck me just HOW much she had truly achieved, and the sacrifices she had to make to get there.
Necklace : Dorothy Perkins | Watch : Guess (Bicester Village) | Bracelets : Gran Canaria
This is a lady who I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong) doesn't even have a GED (the American equivalent of a GCSE)! I mean, even Drake had to go back to school to rack up 'em grades to prove his lyrical worth. But here's a woman who has climbed the highest heights without the need for an ounce of academic paper. It's in interviews that you note that she can't intellectually string a profound sentence together, but that voice? Undoubtedly the greatest of our time. But aside from singing her praises, I have a point. Beyonce (and her boo..or mine? We are yet to legally decide who can claim him publicly) and JayZ are living proof that you CAN climb your way to the top without necessarily being academically gifted.
"One day you'll run the town. For now, make your life what you decide"
"Just remember, stay relentless. Don't stop running until you've finished"
In the UK, there's growing emphasis and support for Apprenticeship schemes, and while I'm not a huge fan (having worked my ass off to pay extortionate post-graduate education fees) I believe in the idea behind it. Providing OTHER means for those without the means, to work their way to the top. As illustrated in my last post, I don't agree with the restriction this places on lower income institutions to provide apprentice/vocationally driven tuition from an early stage...but hey ho! Books ain't for all! I don't think it right to look any lower at someone because they're not as smart as you (book-worm wise), because who knows where they'll be in the future? Do you boo! Work with what you've got, to get to where you want to be.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! You may or may not need a degree to school life, but regardless, working your way to the top takes perseverance through the strife. Xisses 

10 comments

  1. I feel it. One side of my family is really big on education, while the other side just wants me to do well, however way that may be. My parents have always pushed me to do my best, but have also supported me when I didn't and I'm very fortunate for that.

    As far as making comparisons to those in the music industry, I personally think its false hope. Now if I look at people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, who didn't complete their formal education but are pioneers of technology and its advancement, that's when I can say oh...it CAN be done without a degree.

    I touched on this a little while ago on my own blog. Just like you said, I think everyone has to find their own path, which may or may not include classroom education.

    Loving the hair!

    ~Chymere A.
    www.chymereanais.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so touched that this post spoke to you...

      I honestly agree. Parents can guide, but at the end of the day, its your life and no one but you can decide what path to take.

      thank you...x

      Delete
  2. I feel exactly the same way you do. Whilst apprenticeships and vocational courses are a good idea for some I think its a bit unfair that the government has made measures (increased fees, cutbacks on schemes that publicise university at school etc) that limit the number of young people from lower social economic groups getting university degrees. Its their way of keeping society in check and preventing further growth in the middle classes (the people who are most difficult to please at election time)

    Love the content of your blog and that necklace be killing it.

    fikki xx

    thepastimebliss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think the strategic tactics employed to keep those they can 'in their place' is disgusting.
      At the end of the day, not everyone at the top was born there.
      Their parents or ancestors past may have worked their way to the top.
      How would they like it if they weren't accorded those same opportunities like they're denying some now?
      *sigh*

      Glad you guys read my blog man!
      Love the big waves you're making in Manchester!

      How do you get to go to all those events anyway? lol

      Delete
  3. WOW, amazing!!!

    xoxo
    Preta

    http://pretapretinhablog.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute preppy look. Love the red paired with black. Thanks for posting the photos and feel free to drop by me too when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun
      WIll definitely be taking a look at your blog :)

      Delete
  5. Agree!! You could even be the smartest person without having a formal education. Paper is paper and although it can in some cases make things easier, it's not the same for everyone. Education is for sure important, but skill and passion cannot always be taught.

    xoxo
    annpaige

    ReplyDelete