He for She Vs. 4Chan

"Gender equality not only liberates women, but also men, from prescribed gender stereotypes"
On 21st September 2014, Emma Watson (UN Women Goodwill Global Ambassador) gave a touching speech, encouraging men to raise their voices and openly speak about sexism in solidarity with women's rights movements. This speech launched the 'He for She' campaign (a worldwide UN Women feminist campaign), with the goal of recruiting 1 Billion men and boys to combat and advocate for gender equality over the course of 12 months. It is a common misconception that 'feminism' is a female-only plight, and this campaign aims to shed light on the fact that gender inequality is a human rights issue. Thus, its resolution will benefit both men and women. 
Coat : River Island | Dress : BHS | Heels : Miss Selfridge
On 22nd September 2014, 4Chan (the site thought to be behind the leaked nude images of Kim Kardashian, Meagan Good, Gabrielle Union, among many others), started a 5-day campaign aptly titled 'Emma, you are next' with an image of Emma Watson photoshopped behind a ticking countdown. The irony was not lost on many, and was soon blindingly evident when anonymous users posted hateful retorts insinuating that the leaked images were bound to shut down Watson's feminist rants. 
Boudica Statue; Westminster Bridge
London Eye
South Bank Lion; Westminster Bridge
I have advocated against the inequality between over sexualised images of women in the media, in contrast to 3-piece-suited and booted men in the past, and still hold very strong opinions on that matter. However, working with rape victims has enlightened me to the fact that misogynists misuse sexual terror as a weapon. A common rape myth is that females need to alter their appearance and behaviour in order to avoid being victims of sexual violence. This opinion has been vocalised in the courts, media and social platforms in the past, but must be eradicated if we are to make any progress. 
Studs : Forever 21 | Watch : Guess | Ring : H&M
Perhaps the issue is in the words themselves. The issue with feminism being gynocentric is synonymous with the misconception that feminists are men-hating. In a recent conversation with a girlfriend, I questioned why she wasn't a feminist and found that she inherently was, but refused to be defined or associated with the word 'feminist'. Its time to change the dialogue perhaps, and enlighten others to the reality that women deserve equal protection and the allocation of fundamental rights for being 'human'. This is regardless of their impurity, promiscuity or what have you. If men are not defined as criminals based on their sexual indiscretions, then why is it lauded over women as 4Chan attempts to? 
Feminism is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities...politically, economically and socially. Surely we all agree to that, man or woman, we are all just human. BLEURGH

16 comments

  1. I absolutely loved this post. I'm currently doing a subject on Gender Studies at university so it's a topic we talk about every single day, but I'm so glad Emma Watson's speech has opened up a conversation on social media. It's something that NEEDS to be talked about - and people definitely need to forget about the misconception that feminism is only beneficial for women. It's not, and now men have the opportunity to get involved. I love what Emma is doing and I find 4Chan absolutely ridiculous for wanting to shut her up by threatening her with nude pics. More celebrities should use their voice and recognition to raise awareness about these topics.

    Tania | thearistochats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that my readers are intelligent & see my blog as a platform to openly share their views (and I'm not just saying this because you agree with me lol)

      Yes, I liked Watson's speech also, for creating a new dialogue; men being feminists. I believe Chimamanda Adichie did the same in the now immortalised TedX speech sampled in Beyonce's Flawless, but with this He For She movement, there is now a vehicle in place for them to take action.

      I wish I took such a module. I have so many thoughts on this issue and would have loved to debate it tirelessly...lol

      Delete
  2. Yes. Great blog post. Thanks for voicing your opinion. Brains and Beauty. I will be following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your support is very much appreciated

      Delete
  3. Fab post - I completely agree, feminism is all about equal rights and choices and you're so right, it shouldn't be defined by the word 'feminist'. I'm not a fan of the word itself (mainly because of all the negative connotations) but I'm completely for everything it represents. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the connotations some tag along with the word is its demise, I'm afraid. But let's hope this "He for She" movement enlightens the masses to the actual definition and manages to garner the support of many

      Delete
  4. Love this post! And I think that this is such a great thing for Emma to take on, especially in this age when so many starlets want to distance themselves from the word feminist. I have to disagree a bit on some of her reasons for inviting the men into the feminist fold though- yes, feminism benefits men too, but this should not be the main reason why they care. Neither should their reasons for embracing feminism be because they have mothers, sisters etc. They should care because oppression in any form whether because of gender, race or sexual
    orientation is wrong.And in this case, it is gender.

    And as for rape and sexual assault, the whole judging some one because of her sexuality is just so ugh. Like if you are sexual, then God forbid you get assaulted because some how you deserve it. But we know that sexual assault is more about power and dominance than the clothes you are wearing. People have been raped while in the least flattering clothes.

    And one last thing, it really annoys and saddens me that people are quick to say that they are not feminists because it is a man hating movement, but if you ask them whether they have actually ever googled it, they will tell you they haven't. They just know it as a man hating mov't. I mean, I don't need all my friends to declare themselves as feminists, but I wish they could understand what feminism truly is about- social, political and economic equality of the sexes- and not what the anti feminst pr has so successful convinced them. Anyway, rant over.
    And as 4CHAN, despicable doesn't even begin to describe them.

    www.concernsof1ugandanYA.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently. I agree with you that a man's reasoning should be based on rationalisation, but having engaged in one too many conversations with misogynists, I can confidently say that the only way to help some see the light is to bring the point home. I once engaged in a debate where the misogynist convinced Young women that rape was self-inflicted and I then had to illustrate that she could be a victim just this evening in her "inappropriate" attire, according to his standards. It sickens me that the victims are the ones made to feel shame or that women are made to feel any less than who they are, all because of their gender, but that is very much the reality.

    I agree that many have failed to google the word, and I myself confessed to having felt like Chimamanda the very first time someone labelled me as a feminist; defensive. All it takes is education and enlightenment to see that the points made are common sensical *sigh*

    Yes, 4Chan is despicable. These women's fundamental rights to privacy have been breached, and as entertaining as it may have been, that's an act deserving of legal penalty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I agree with you, and think it's a shame so many people feel 'feminist' is a dirty word. I quite happily wear that label, and 4chan users are just ignorant clearly threatened by the movement. I hope this campaign helps educate on such an important issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing and agree with your point about 4Chan; so sad.

      Delete
  7. I guess my whole rant about men needing to participate in gender equality because we are humans too is out of frustration. But i agree to what u said-that if to get them to take these issues seriously is through talkinng about how this type of injustice affects the women in their lives, then we must meet them at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really don't understand why women don't want to be associated with the word feminist. If they read more around the subject they would see that it isn't about men-hating - it's about gender equality and education.
    Many men are shocked to read about the things women face on a day to day basis. My boyfriend is shocked that I am constantly cat called and told to smile - sorry was I put on this earth to smile for you? NO !

    A Forte For Fashion

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gender equality...so simple. I guess some have been conditioned to view themselves as subordinate as the alternative is scary. having autonomy for one's decisions, actions and future...
      I agree that many men want to be a part of the movement, but openly joining in is somewhat too 'frontline' for most. I hope this campaign can help remove the stigma attached to such a movement and enlighten many that it is a worthwhile cause :)

      Delete
  9. Nice Outfit! I love the dress!

    www.nissimendes.ch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie, got it as a gift from my mum.
      Fits like a glove :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful dress Onyx.

    Myveryownpen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete