Suits

Disclaimer: Apologies if my recent posts have been a bit heavy...I wish I could promise I'd steer away from that, but take me as I am. 
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."  Mark Twain
Suit : Dorothy Perkins | Slipper Loafers : New Look | Top : Thrifted (originally New Look)
For those who don't follow me on Twitter? I spent (or wasted. Its a matter of opinion) most of last week gushing over Harvey Specter, a dapper don of a lead character in the TV series, Suits. If you don't know...get familiar.
 Bag : Dune (giveaway win from Promise - '5 inch heels') | Watch : Guess
As you are well aware by this point, I've gone 'back to school', undertaking the practical qualification I will need to practice as a lawyer. One of the many requirements, is advocacy, which is heavily weighted on my course. Steering away from having a moan & groan, I will focus on the fickle aspect of the course...suits! Thats right, I actually HAVE to wear a suit to every advocacy class. The main aim of it is to get comfortable with 'court attire', and fully embody the profession in every session.
At first, I was apprehensive. I don't own a suit, neither do I look/ feel good wearing one. So here are the rules:

  • MUST be a dark suit
  • CAN be a skirt/ dress suit
  • MUST be conservative (below the knee/ knee length)
  • NO boots!
After watching Suits, I started to reason on the same wavelength as the law school, BSB, the Inns...etc. There's a certain presence that comes with a 'suit'. Not in the empty sense that some class those on Wall Street, but rather an air of self-importance, power and class. I want to embody that, and I find that when I don a suit, I can be that person. I walk with a grace and elegance that just isn't present in a skater skirt/ AA discopants *sniggers*. And quite honestly, I need it. I've realised, after a year of working in a subordinate role in a law firm, I lost my voice. So here I was, embarking on a profession that's dependant on advocacy and public speaking, and all of a sudden, I was frightened of it. Wearing a suit is like putting on a superhero costume, it allows me to be the best version of myself...even if only for a minute. 
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Suit Up!

21 comments

  1. I agree with you...there is some validation and self worth that surfaces when you suit.You look classy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking like a business woman i yes mam lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking real good
    I love my suits....it gives me a certain..'I aint taking any nonsense' feeling.
    I always advice new graduates to get at least one good black suit. Very empowering.
    Hope all is well dearie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look absolutely stunning! and BTW, I love that Mark Twain quote...Thank you very much for visiting my blog and for your comment, I'm happy to have found yours too. Definitely I am your new follower, it will be a pleasure keep in touch.
    A big hug!

    Inés
    SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasps* Thank you! I'm flattered

      Thanks for following...will defs pay yours a visit

      Delete
  5. Nice blog! I'm your new Follower! I hope you can visit my blog sometimes.. Thank's! :) Kisses from VV!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the quote!
    not a fan of suits/smart wear but it looks great on you.
    hope law school arent working too too hard! lol.

    www.lollihearts.co.uk
    x
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote too...gonna try & be sharing some more that really speak to me while I write.
      Inspire others...

      Not that big a fan of suits but I just need to find the right store/ pair 1st.
      Think I swim in it...I wanna look as good as a man in a good fitted one.
      Be on the look out...SK might have some gems lol

      Law School is a b*tch.5, but I'm getting there. Its hard though, can't lie

      Delete
  7. Lovely quote & those pants look amazing on you...wow!

    www.iamtheladygenius.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very glad to say I'm yet to have to wear a suit, and I dread the day I have to. Haha. I'm definitely not an office-wear kind of girl :')

    www.lifeasadaydreamer.blogspot.com

    -Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey. I really enjoy your take on a modern suit. You really exemplified your style by pairing bold pieces and making them into a fashion statement.
    www.sportygoddess.blogspot.com
    -Diamond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern take?
      I dunno about that one...I listed the rules cos I wanted a bit of help actually. I feel drowned in it, and like I'm losing my truly eccentric nature and style, trying to fit in.

      But yes, thanks...I try and make my pieces into style statements

      Delete
  10. J'adore ton suit et le parole de Mark Twain :)
    e-nsisters.blogspot.tr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately didn't take up french for GCSEs so I'm hopeless...but glad to see international readers on here x

      Delete
  11. I love that they make you wear a suit, I wish they made us wear suits...And you look quite sophisticated in it. Love your hair too! xx

    http://theamateurescada.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete