Scripted Reality

Disclaimer: I've already touched on some qualms I have with reality TV shows like Love & HipHop in the past...[click here] for some background.
Currently reading the 2nd installment of Lauren Conrad's LA Candy series, and I'm finding it quite insightful. As a reality TV veteran (having watched all walks of life - genre - from age-old MTV classics like 'NewlyWeds' and 'The Osbournes', to terrestrial TV's saviours like 'XFactor', 'Made in Chelsea', 'TOWIE' & 'Big Brother', to my current faves; the black-stereotype spotlight pieces like 'Braxton Family Values', 'Love & HipHop' and 'Basketball Wives'), I am aware that its not quite as 'real' as they would have us believe.
Scarf : **Grandma's | Blazer : Thrifted (Wales) | Shirt : Primark (Menswear) | Skirt : Primark | Braided Shopper Bag : ZARA | Suede Brogues : NewLook
Reading the LA Candy series is eye-opening. Yes, I was always aware that, quite like wrestling (sorry if I killed anyone's naive belief that WWE wasn't staged), the TV Networks deliberately set-up scenarios for these 'real' individuals to then 'act normal'. Aside from the extent to which producers would go to orchestrate drama for ratings, what I found disturbing, was the level to which these said individuals were willing to stoop for more airtime. Its sick to think they are willing to play obedient lil' puppets for our entertainment.

Head Candy : Primark | Rings : eBay & DorothyPerkins | Necklace : DorothyPerkins
I mean, I can't quite wrap my head around someone as old as my Aunty slurring about loyalty, throwing drinks across the dinner table at her 'friends' or even GOING to a club, talk less of causing a raucous there. Its unreal (pun intended). Needless to say (although her style of writing is a tad lacklustre, and her diction rather basic – buy a thesaurus Lauren Conrad, or right-click on Synonyms in Microsoft Word) Lauren Conrad had me sucked in and blown away from the get-go...ok, I lie, from about 75 pages in LOL.
(Boxing Day Outing with the siblings)
LA Candy touches on the ins & outs of the life of a reality TV star. I mean, it's a great avenue to showcase [non]talents, but at the same time, it opens the floodgates for shame, immaturity and basic life. The protagonist struggles to understand WHY the public are so interested in a regular girl, and perhaps its because of the level to which we can relate to her, or other reality TV stars. The age of pedestalising celebrities has long passed, with all those 'Fabulous Life' MTV shows seeing better days. Now, I think the public are more concerned with how others live their day-to-day lives, except, the big TV dons won't show us that. Instead, they buy out villas, rent tables at the top bars and and splurge thousands on flashing a faux-flambouyant lifestyle, in a bid to woo us to covet. 


Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Just like a script, in reality tv, what goes up shall surely come down. Xisses

37 comments

  1. I'm a sucker for trash tv, the book sound really interesting, might have to buy it...or maybe I'll just get it from the library lol...x

    http://followmein5inchheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got the zara shopper, jealous!
    love trash tv. but yeh it is crazy how low some will stoop. the amount of times ive seen fake crying on the real housewives of Beverly hills...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get it! I love that bag!!! Fits EVERYTHING!!!

      Delete
  3. Love your outfit the blazer is gorgeous x

    http://lolitasfashionideas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. that hat is so cute! and I'm actually a bit addicted to trash tv, but it's so interesting I avoided watching the real housewives of atlanta for so long then my friends got me into watching it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh I love that bag!!! I have it in the tan colour as well :)

    annabeeeh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE REALITY TV lol, no shame in that game! You look good in these pics (I also did a quick post on Whitney Port!! If you want to check it out)

    standupout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely outfits! Cute skirt, scarf--love it!

    xoxo
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  8. that necklace is actually on fire. i want it. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks babe, its from Dorothy Perkins, but Topshop do a replica but in black and gold only without silver.

      Delete
  9. hmm that's interesting. It's unbelievable the way reality tv affects our world today.

    Love your skirt and the necklace

    www.afrikanprincezz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pic and outfit.
    You looked so happy - lovely smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I truly was. I was in a zone which I spoke about in my 'Enugu 2011' blog...

      Delete
  11. LOL! I LOVE reality TV too! But its so sad how producers turn such an awesome opportunity to further one's career & take a shot at the fame game, into your worst nightmare. Having just finished the book, I was stunned by how soon freinds become foes. These TV personalities then walk around Hollywood with a huge ego & trust-complex, after watching several alliances crumble on-screen for more airtime. I just think its so degrading, and feel like they're painting women out to be two-faced back-stabbers with men always as the hidden agenda behind every action. COME ON!!

    And thanks for all the compliments...much love to all lovers of a great bargain. About 70% of this outfit are hand-me-downs, thrift store & Primark finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute look, I love the colour of that skirt :)

    Enter my giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou sweetie.
      I'll be sure to peruse around yours and enter the giveaway althought I have such awful luck :(

      Delete
  13. You look lovely. I'm not such a fan of reality TV but the book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUNNY!! Reality TV is my guilty pleasure! i can't do a day without ONE show LOL

      Delete
  14. Sucha cute outfit, but totally drooling over your bag! :)

    xx
    Jen

    http://belledecouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that bag too! Sent it to early retirement though as I was wearing it too much, but I may just dig it out again... lol

      Delete
  15. Thank you for your comment :)

    I love the necklace with the shirt!!

    http://voguesweetvogue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its from Dorothy Perkins & thanks sweetie xx

      Delete
  16. I adore this shirt!

    http://nomeatbuttwoveg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hunnie...Primark sure has its hidden gems! I was featured on an MSN article *points to the side* so be sure to take a look xx

      Delete
  17. you look amazing! this outfit is soo chic :
    http://spliffedcookies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute outfit and I'm totally obsessed with your Zara plaited shopper; I should've bought it when I had the chance (all sold out now). :-( Thanks for the comment you left on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ZARA bags are still in certain stores hun and they're definitely still online. You should get it if you REALLY want it. I'm after the new shoppers myself, although they're a tad common as everyone has it...but the inside is better than the one in the pic.

      Delete
  19. love love the second outfit, so cute and reminds me of grease for some reason! would love to check out facelesschic.blogspot.com and follow it if you like it! xx fc

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh yeh and im following, love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyou hunny. Will definitely be taking a lil browse round to your blog xx

      Delete