Justice for Dessert

I'd usually steer well-clear from commenting on viral/controversial issues, but I was moved to air my views after spotting this article by the Barrister I was mini-pupil for 2 years ago. He has written an engaging account of the judicial reasoning behind the verdict for The Guardian. The title of this BLEURGH was aptly chosen for the sole fact that this decision was more than delayed; nearly 19 years too late to be precise.
Blazer & Shirt : Thrifted (Wales) | Jumper & Cardigan : Primark
Cropped Peglegs : Topshop | Tote : DKNY
I was intrigued by the circumstances and decisions made post-trial from my AS Level law days, and when news erupted of two of the 9 suspected men being convicted yesterday, I was more than happy to say I was alive to see this day. As a passionate soul aspiring for a promising future in Human Rights Bar, its moments like this I live for. My joy at the decision is not so much prompted by my racial background or my left-wing political allegiances, but rather, an elementary expression of glee that justice and fairness has finally prevailed.
Rings : Dorothy Perkins | Watch : Guess
Slipper Loafers & Belt : New Look | Necklace : **Belt
This was a hallmark case for many reasons. Not only did it drastically transform the MET Police after the MacPherson Report termed it “institutionally racist”, but it also eradicted the archaic 'double jeopardy' rule which in lay man's terms, means that cases can now be retried under the same court. So even after a defendant has be acquitted of a certain crime, charges can later be brought against the same individual for the same crime on discovery of new, compelling evidence. Stephen Lawrence may have been murdered for no reason, but he surely died for a cause. Amidst the pain his family have endured from years wasted not grieving for their son, but rather, chasing after the killers after several miscarriages of justice; a reassuring wave of satisfaction has been restored to all UK citizens that the law will do all within its power to ensure justice and fairness is delivered in all cases.
I'm not so hung up on the term time they are serving when sentenced, or how long it took for justice to be served, but rather I'm looking at the underlying message here. Stephen's mother persevered and fought for what she believed in, and finally received a just verdict. My mother, through all my trying times would always say "don't relent oh!" and that voice of reason is what I carry with me everywhere. Mrs Lawrence fought for justice for the untimely passing of her dear son, and ended up causing a great impact on more institutions than she was aware were even involved. The potential that exists in each of us is limitless, and barriers on our progress are self-imposed. Its a new year, place no limitation on your dreams and you can be more than conquerors. Impossible is Nothing.

Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Justice, best served hot. Xisses

9 comments

  1. you look lovely missy. check u out!hehe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are entirely right, nothing is impossible! Mrs. Lawrence is such an admirable woman, the sheer determination of her to bring her son killers to justice can only be described as courageous! I hope others take her as an example and strive for what they believe is right!

    On a more positive note, you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the way you express yourself.I love the title you chose...very clever,eloquent and prfound.I love the conclusion too...I think you are more than a lawyer,you are a writer,a voice,a problem solver and an educater....very good read and your post shed a lot of light on this whole issue from the Mcpherson report,institutional racism to double jeapardy...you do more than show us what you wear....kudos and keep it up...i'm glad you listen to your mom...dont relent oooo:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are too sweet...thankyou! I love the law and the motive behind judgments. Mrs Lawrence truly is a woman to be admired, and as you said 'Anna B', her sheer determination is something I strive to maintain in my everyday drive to the finish line. DOn't lose sight of your goals...and don't relent x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the last statement "The potential that exists in each of us is limitless, and barriers on our progress are self-imposed"... too many times I've found myself doing this but I guess its a lesson to learn... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so weird, I'm in the zone when I write, that I sometimes forget my own words.

      I completely agree though, we all do it. place these barriers on our achievements.
      We need to just remember that we can do all things if we put our minds to it and put the right plans in motion at the right time.

      Delete