Don't Call it a Comeback

Starting a 'Back to School' series, by popular demand.  This week, I read a tweet that enraged me to the core, and I went on to scribe my thoughts. I found that my words spoke volumes to those going through that stage in their lives. As I too will be joining the flock this September, returning to an educational institute to further my career prospects, I thought it best to deal with these issues bit-by-bit. The first port of call in this series is dealing with bad baggage from the previous term/year, and how to improve, this academic year.
 Shirt : H&M | Trousers : ZARA | Sandals : ZARA
Results Day & the Summer
So you've received your results & you're not too pleased with whats staring back at you on paper. Fair enough. My advice is to give yourself time to wallow in self-pity. Trying to speed up the process by going straight into work-mode is futile. The work produced in the time will be of low quality, and you will lose the will to carry on. Whether its a day, or days...take a time-out. Cry if you need to. After a few days off, snap back to reality. THIS IS KEY! The moment of realisation when those low grades sink in, is when you need to pick up a pen and paper and start drafting an action plan.
 Studs : Matalan | Necklace : TK Maxx | Watch : Guess | Rings : DP/H&M
Action Plan
I grew up under a roof that placed great importance on academic achievements. My father drummed in the need for a SWOT analysis after every academic term.
Strength
Weakness
Opportunity
Threat
Its important to acknowledge where you went wrong. Yes, we live in a society thats infatuated with a blame culture. When something goes wrong, someone can always be held accountable. However, upon receipt of results, you need to denounce membership of that culture and accept that you had a part to play in your feeling of disappointment. When you can reach that stage of acceptance, is the moment you can openly acknowledge your faults and weaknesses. 


My SWOT Analysis
At the end of 2nd year, I accepted that my STRENGTH was retaining a lot of information in a short space of time. This system of studying may have worked for SATs, GCSEs and ALevels, but was proving difficult in University. I recognised that was WEAKNESS was the application of that knowledge. I am a procrastinator-by-nature, and would always revise last-minute. That didn't give me enough time to understand and apply my knowledge in-time to translate it to wisdom on paper. This meant that I was always scraping the bottom of the barrel. I never failed/ had retakes, as I understood the work, but I did not apply it to the question/ support it with external sources. Acknowledging your weakness does not always mean changing your system. I was realistic enough to know that I could not sacrifice my social life (THREAT) through the year to study continuously. Instead, I still left my revision until last minute, but I incorporated study-groups and peer-grading (OPPORTUNITY) into my revision system.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Carry out a SWOT Analysis, and prepare for low grades to go amiss. Xisses
Disclaimer: This advice is generic. Feel free to contact me & ask for more help/advice at nkeks@hotmail.com.

38 comments

  1. good advice...I cant take something from here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't take something....or can't take nothing?
      Hope you found the piece beneficial? :(

      Delete
  2. gotta make most of our strenghts, isn't it? :)
    like your necklace!

    xo,
    Sandra @ Blasfemmes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Love the colored denim!!

    ox from NYC!
    davie+erica

    LPFashionPhilosophy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun :)
      They are SO comfortable. God bless ZARA! lol

      Delete
  4. i love this, we learned SWOT in my advertising class and we had to use it everyday, i didnt think until now to use it on everyday situation!!! Great job!

    i nominated you for an award too! =)
    http://isaidiwasamazing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! LOL My dad's an accountant, so he uses analogies like that all the time.
      Its his idea of practical parenting...it worked though lol

      Thanks sweetie. I've been nominated a few times *points to the right*, but i'll add a link to your blog on the right as someone who's nominated me. Thanks so much. I'm flattered x

      Delete
  5. I love the way you've styled the sleeveless shirt! And good luck with your studies, I hope they go well for you! I love how you used a SWOT analysis to weigh up the pros and cons, I actually learned about SWOT last week in class :)

    Pop by and visit my blog Taken By Surprise! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hunny
      I love crop tops this season. Always have tbh. But they had their tacky phase lol

      Glad you liked the SWOT analysis. I used to hate when my father would drum on about it, but it sure is handy.

      Thanks for stopping by my blog & having a read. X

      Delete
  6. great advice girl, love those red pants too

    -Jessica
    http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. love love love this outfit. especially the colors you chose :)


    You have such a lovely blog! What do you think of following each other?

    WhiteCloset Fashion Blog
    Twitter
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I try and create pieces that aren't just aesthetically pleasing, but intellectually rich too.
      Will check out yours

      Delete
  8. Great look!I like your pants. Nice blog.What about following each other?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey doll those pants are fly!
    kariekimberly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love your writing style girl! Keep it coming <3

    http://www.lasugarlace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love writing. Glad people take the time out to read my posts :)
      New post coming soon ...

      Delete
  11. I never thought to practice is outside of communications. Great concept and I love those pants! The cranberry is so pretty on your skin tone

    ~Sherine
    Stop by and say HI!
    Confessions Of A City Girl 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally fell out of my seat when my Business Studies teacher mentioned it a few years ago.
      Thought it was a concept coined by my father....he sure had me fooled lol

      Thanks hun. Cranberry. Nice description, I like...

      Delete
  12. wow you almost look like Rihanna at first glance! love your burgundy jeans!
    would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I REALLY don't see the Rihanna thing, but I tend to get that a lot.
      In GC last summer, I was followed to my car after a night out with guys screaming her name at me :S
      Not to mention the constant teases at work. A close colleague of mine even forgets my name completely and just refers to me as 'Ri Ri' LOL!!!

      Thanks for stopping by boo x

      Delete
  13. Like the outfit, I gonna work this year then Im going back to school
    http://fashion-crushh.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thats great!
      I did that also, this year, as you are aware from the post above.
      I thought it was a great experience. BLEURGH on that, coming soon

      All the best with your future aspirations hun x

      Delete
  14. Thank you for your lovely comment! I love the burgundy trend for fall. Great Pants!
    Following you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love burgundy hun....that, bottle green & burnt orange have to be my fave colours for fall!

      Thanks for following :)

      Delete
  15. Good luck with school, I really like how you styled the maroon pants you look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun. So excited to start already!
      I'm flattered. I love maroon/burgundy :)

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie. I'm learning to love colour again :)

      Delete
  17. Loving those burgundy pants :) I completely agree - it really bugs me when people stop at the cry a river stage and never build a bridge or get over it. :) A little effort goes a long way.

    http://anni-dot-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. ZARA baby!
      AHHHHH! I love that! So very true. *claps*
      True love takes work, life and love aren't a bed of roses.

      Delete