Maleficent

I went to watch Maleficent with my sister the other day, and left completely stunned at the turn of events. Maleficent (as we grew up knowing it) is evil incarnate, responsible for all misfortune in King Stefan's kingdom. Disney effectively thwarted the 'Evil Witch' concept by subverting the stereotypes associated with that title. Maleficent was neither good nor bad, neither was she exceedingly smart or talented. It showcased a gifted woman who's been scorned by lost love and mangled by the disappointment of life and trust. Maleficent prompted me to team it with the likes of Frozen and Brave, into a group I like to call 'New Age Disney'
Top : Primark | Trousers : Marks & Spencers | Bag : ZARA
I grew up reading fairytales such as Snow White, Cinderella and the Frog Prince. It wasn't until my Drama GCSE that I was enlightened to the origins of such romantic classics; The Brothers Grimm.  By then, I was disenfranchised to the concept of romance or 'love at first sight', as most 'Ugly Duckling' tween/teens may be. But watching New Age Disney has revived this as I am assured that my feelings are well-founded. New Age Disney disproves some of it's prior notions of fickle lust masked as love, and introduces the confident, independent girl as the protagonist. Gone are the helpless, lost damsels, trapped in towers or lost in enchanted forests. These new age flicks welcome camaraderie amongst woman and dispel the thesis of the one-dimensional woman (good when dependent but evil if independent).

Turban : Afro Hair Shop | Coral Bead Necklace & Bracelet : Abuja Arts & Crafts Market
Maleficent's wings. Elsa's magical freezing powers (Frozen).  Merida's archery skills (Brave). There is a recurring theme here, of a threat to the protagonist's USP, and the need to embrace that quirk in order to truly soar as a unique, powerful and independent woman. In all 3 flicks, it is a man who poses a threat to this USP, and it is a fellow woman who engineers the protagonist to a journey of self-discovery where she learns that her USP is no curse, neither is it a tool to be used to intimidate others. Rather, a lesson of modesty, feminism and moderation is reminiscent through all these new age flicks, and it's evident that's a message that's here to stay.
This last bit, I abstained from including in my vlog, but a powerful thought that struck me especially in the climax (wing-snatcher scene...endeavouring to avoid a spoiler). A woman's virginity is sometimes described as a precious flower, a beautiful fragile piece of nature that can either flourish or wilt dependent on the level of care. I saw this beautiful flower as Maleficent's wings; her true beauty was symbolised by her ability to soar through the skies,  effortlessly gliding above her peers. Its what she was most proud of and what defined her. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" immediately popped to mind when she howled and the image reconciled with that of rape. Deep for a kiddie flick, but I felt my heart break for her at the loss of her innocence & couldn't blame her for the madness that ensued as a result. 

Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Revel in the beauty of womanhood, accept your weaknesses, embrace what makes you unique & put aside your past differences in order to truly embody the WOMAN you were created to be; Maleficent. X

11 comments

  1. This is great! I love how you make being a woman mean there are strengths and weaknesses. Recognising our weakness is true strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a woman is being human. Some societies are yet to accord us equal status, but it doesn't take away from that standing as a fact. I am strengthened in my weakness, and I am learning to work with our innate characteristics to finally see them as benefits to my character, rather than flaws e.g. being more emotional than a man.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad girls today are being brought up to not be helpless. (Forgot to add this bit earlier).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As am I! This new age Disney has truly caught my interest, and I will gladly let my daughters watch it without fear that they are being sold unrealistic dreams :)

      Delete
  3. ohhh wow....now I really wanna watch maleficent.......
    I love your top dear

    http://www.ann-u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the review, and I truly hope the movie lives up to your expectations.
      Please bear in mind I'm a chronic overthinker, so don't go in there thinking the messages will be blatantly evident. I loved it though, and I sure hope you do too :)

      Delete
    2. Ooops! And thanks! Top is from Primark, although it was a few years back now :)

      Delete
  4. I have yet to see the movie - I feel so left out. You make me want to watch!

    TIFFANY | www.tiffanyeatworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaaa Glad you read and liked my review
      Definitely worth watching, even if only on DVD.

      Delete
  5. def have to watch this movie when it starts showing in Kampala. Also, I really love your shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Glad you read and clearly liked what you read...I'd definitely say its worth watching hun
      Wow! Kampala?? Didn't know my readership stretched so far! COOL!
      Thanks :)

      Delete