Worth its Weight in Gold

I LOL'd my way to the bank when I read this.  I didn't see him complaining when he wifed her at 16 LOL! The whole thing got me thinking though, especially after all the posts I'd been reading from 'Black Girls Are Easy'. It became clear to me that there was a vacuum of morality among the youth of nowadays. Girls spend endless hours in the gym just to sluttily proudly flaunt their toned half-naked bodies on social networking sites in a bid to woo thirsty guys. I am baffled. What happened to decorum? Where did value go?
Blazer : H&M | Shirt : Thrifted (Wales) | Trousers : Primark
We're plagued by the disease of Hoeism and it seems ever more prevalent amongst our youth (its bound to get worse with the summer sun peaking above the clouds...*cringe*) I blame the flood of half-naked celebrity images promulgated in the media. Girls now look up to the Nicki Minaj's, video vixens and Riri's of the globe as aspirations of what a 'bad b*tch' should be. Excuse me while I grab a barf bag. This is in no way a post dedicated to knocking those said ladies' hustles. I respect a good grind, and they clearly worked with what they had to reach the top of their game. I wasn't in the room as Riri auditioned for Jigga, neither was I there in the studio as Weezy spun Nicki's mixtape. In fact, I have no interest in that aspect of things. What I have qualms with is their lack of emphasis on the hardwork they put in to becoming who they are today. All they seem to blast on their instagrams are half-naked images and spliff shots *sigh*
Necklace : Forever 21 | Studded Slipper Loafers : Primark | Rose Gold Watch : Michael Kors
And you'd think women who had long established their place in the social and media hierarchy would be safe from hoeism? WRONG! Beyonce and Mariah seem to be taking the time to show that motherhood and a double decade long career can't cage their sex appeal. Why is this an issue for women? I don't see JayZ flaunting his bare midriff stating fatherhood hasn't bar'd him from hours pumping lbs. Why is this sexual standard so ill-balanced? And why aren't public figures playing more of a part to eradicate this 'pressure' on young women to be sexy and not much else? I miss the good ol' days of a woman priding herself in her talents and looking down on those that solely depended on their looks to get ahead. I miss the era of the radical suffragettes who stopped at nothing in their fight for equality and independence from the chains of socially defined 'femininity'. Now it seems women WANT to be bandaged by the corsets of patriarchy while blasting 'S&M' at full volume.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Take pride in your talent 'cos its worth its weight in gold. Beauty and a hot bod will eventually wither away as you grow old

4 comments

  1. I see you still styling and profiling :) Times have changed and it may be too late to go back to how things use to be, but as long as the individual stay true to themselves, then that's all that matter, cause at the end. Talent always rise above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL not sure whether that 1st bit was shade...?
      Yeah I agree but to a certain extent. Times HAVE changed but values and self-worth shouldn't be eradicated regardless.
      I agree to staying true to oneself but I think you've missed my point a bit...or perhaps I've missed yours. But talent is talent...why some should choose to coat it in vulgarity is beyond me. True talent shines through regardless of its packaging so let it speak for itself.

      Delete
  2. The world changes. That's all I can say. However, there are quite a few of us who should and do know better. There should be some balance, we should be true to who we are. Fact is, anything that isn't grounded on time tested Ideals such as Truth, Honesty and Hardwork etc won't last. Including - in your words - 'Hoeism'.

    Love your Jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I agree with the latter part but much of what I replied to 'Pretty Haute' stands. Yes, the world changes...we are FAR past the Suffragette movement (if thats what y'all are chosing to focus on) but I still think values such as hardwork (as you listed) should remain the same. Why does hardwork have to be paraded and shat on by cheap 'hoeism'? We should move past that. I still want to draw a comparison with men even IN the same industry as those said women and the contrast is blinding! When will we wake up?

      Delete