Django Unchained

I applauded Tarantino all the way home for the brilliant execution of such a cinematic masterpiece; Django. I watched it as a child (obviously with parental guidance *side eye*), but to be quite frank, I can't seem to remember much else but the title. Hence why I decided to watch the much-raved remake of a classic with my siblings. I walked in thinking it might be heavy, gory and ridden with historical content, but walked out with my hand firmly clasped around my belly fighting the chuckles that came a'rumbling when recounting too many scenes worthy of solo youtube clips. Django definitely surpassed my expectations.
Fur headband : Primark | Shirt : Primark | Top : ZARA | Trousers : Primark 
Boots : Moda in Pele | Bag : ZARA | Watch : Michael Kors
Set in the Deep South 2 years before the Civil War in the 1800's, Django chronicles the tale of a slave who is set free by an eclectic dentist on the prowl for a band of notorious brothers. He enlists the help of Django in one of the most memorable open scenes in modern day cinema. That intro set the pace for the rest of the movie, which did not disappoint. From the satirical (especially considering the context of the 1800's and the fact that the KKK weren't in existence until MUCH later) KKK ambush (starring my man, Jonah Hill - LEDGE!) to the laughable goriness of the cotton farm (Candieland) massacre, the movie will go down as one of the 21st Century's finest pieces of work.
Not being a fan of reviews myself, I wasn't moved by the melodramatic sentiments of those I'd read thus far. Not to mention Spike Lee's rants about racism and the misuse of the 'n' word. Excuse me, but all I sense is a bit of jealousy. Not only has Lee's movies failed to make ANY impact on my existence (and Lord do I wish I could take back the 1hour+ of my life I wasted watching the apparently legendary 'Do the Right Thing' *rolling eyes*), but he has failed to make any movies worthy of note of late. So please, take a seat *ushers to the back of the hall*. In my opinion, what irritated Lee the most, is the fact that a caucasian man thought to remake this before he set sights on this gold mine. *tuts* Thus, what I failed to comprehend however, was not Lee's outrage (which was warranted considering his appalling work as a Director thus far), but the disciples that followed suit. Excuse me, but what did you expect when watching a movie set in the deep south (an area most affected by slavery) in the 1800's...go figure kids.
What I believe irked ethnic minority viewers is the harsh reality of life as a slave. Quite frankly, that depiction is probably more accurate than any daytime BBC documentary depicting much the same. Thats not to say that we should just brush it under the carpet because of the progress we as black people have made since. Slavery happened. Tarantino is known for his gory depictions, and satirical portrayals, but I must commend him for shedding light (and making light) of an otherwise awkward topic in history. What this does not mean, is that the 'n' word has automatically lost the stigma attached to it. On the contrary, the rape of the word should have triggered outrage at the maltreatment of blacks as 2nd class citizens in the 1800's. A class that we have since, fought so hard to triumph over. The chunder of the 'n' word is a symbol to modern day ethnic minorities to remember just how good (not perfect) we have it now.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! To unchain Django is to set free the still prevalent prejudices in present day society. Xisses

24 comments

  1. I loved that movie. It was really well done and not all "gorified", thank goodness.
    Love your hat btw

    xoxo
    annpaige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think so either! Geeez! Society is too sensitive...

      Delete
    2. Ooooh! Its not a hat...its a headband! Got it like 3 years ago and its been my best winter buy to date :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard so many brilliant comments on this movie so far... I like your "mini review" on it. Now I should go and watch it coz I feel left out now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is genius! Honestly, I recommend it if it sounds like your cup of tea...

      Delete
  3. i saw the film on sunday; while i thought it was a bit reminiscent of Kill Bill, it was a good film. weird seeing leo dicaprio in such a villainous role, but he was great; as was the charming christopher waltz (guilty pleasure!) and the superb Jamie foxx a& kerry washington. and samuel jackson? wow! well acted i thought.

    just my 2 pennies lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I! but with an ethnic minority as the protagonist. THink Tarantino has a fetish for 'hunt-down' plots. Perhaps there's something unresolved there loooool

      I loved the entire cast too! Dr Schultz HAD to be my fave. Found myself giggling like a schoolgirl at his effortless charm, and quite rightly worded...swagger! lol

      Delete
  4. I (surprisingly) enjoyed the movie!

    Jen
    http://trinibklbabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you not into slashers and bloody flicks? Cos if so, I can see why you would've been a bit apprehensive at first. But yes, i agree, its so enjoyable that even if it wasn't your thing, you'd have enjoyed it regardless...

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen the movie :(
    I had bought the same bag you have in this post, but I didn't end up liking it, what are your thoughts on it? Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shoulds DEFS go and see it!!!

      I get what you mean. I felt the same when I eyed it up last season but I saw it in the store and just HAD to get it. As a student who piles her world into her bags? Its heaven-sent lol

      Delete
  6. The movie sounds interesting even without having to watch it. I will try and see Django this coming weekend.

    http://frances-diaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEFS try and see it & please let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  7. I really really want to see this, I need to get myself to the cinema

    Please come and check out my latest post if you have a few minutes spare :)

    www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU DO!!!

      haul yourself there ASAP looooool

      I will defs come & see your blog :)

      Delete
  8. Awww thankyou....and by lovely, I really do hope you're referring to my outfit not the plot of the film or the content of this post? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely film of the year, funnier than I thought too!
    You looked so gorgeous, I adore your bag and the hat is so cute!
    dimplesdiaries
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats exactly what I thought too!
      I was in tears in the KKK bit...Tarantino defs outdid himself there lmaooooooo

      Thanks hun :)

      Delete
  10. i loved the movie myself. Samuel Jackson is a class act. as for your bag, gimme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samuel L Jackson is a ledge! for sure...

      Thanks hun but I sadly can't lol. Got it as a birthday gift from my brother.
      He wont be too pleased with me just giving it out to my followers LOL!!

      Delete
  11. Great movie and great outfit! Please stop by our Facebook page for fashion related tips, fun contests and weekly new arrivals. :) https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-closetca/259222350847028

    www.ecloset.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...great movie
      And thanks for the compliment

      Will be taking a look at the facebook account you linked :)

      Delete
  12. great outfit loving the hat more u luk fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its actually a fur headband but thanks hun :)

      Delete