Act Like a Lady...Think Like A Man

I was initially intending on splitting this post up, focusing on the book to start with, and then the movie. However, upon finishing the book over a fortnight ago, I realised that the characters in the movie are loosely based on the stereotypes in the book, and it'd be redundant to focus on one and leave the other. Having watched the movie 1st, I fell in love with the soundtrack and chemistry, far more than the plot. The storyline was fickle and humourous, but there was nothing below the surface. Yes, I could relate to one character more than the rest (Taraji's...but i hope i don't date an upcoming chef in future, i can't deal). It DID make me think about my flaws and the men I attract, but it wasn't pushing me to make any life-altering decisions.
 Shirt : Thrifted (originally Topshop Menswear) | Trousers : Thrifted (Croydon) | Heels : NEXT
The book presents men as simple textbook steroetypes. Steve Harvey's thesis is that all men live in search of their identity, which is career/money-centred. Once this goal is achieved, they have peace of mind enough to settle down with a girl/woman, and commit to planning a life around that union. What Steve Harvey fails to consider is the basic flaw; men are human, and no man is the same (just as all women are different). His reasoning behind publishing the book, was to enlighten females beyond the advice given by other ignorant female friends, and draw us to an understanding that men are one-track minded. However, what translates throughout the book is excuse- after-excuse for trifling, cheating, ignorant, non-attentive, irresponsible, ego-centric male behaviour.
 For starters, I do not believe men stray from conversations, and can personally attest to that. I once spent over 24 hours on the phone to an ex. That meant sleeping, showering, bickering, watching TV...everything....together on the phone for over a day! Having brothers (with a close enough relationship to quiz and question certain male characteristics that niggle at me), I am fortunate enough to know that men talk. I also have male friends who call/bbm JUST to gossip. Men don't LOVE to talk, but they do talk. They understand that they were given a mouth, and they are intelligent enough to use it from time-to-time.
Secondly, there should be no excuses for slipping. Just in the same way women are expected to keep their body right, and carry themselves like ladies, so also should men not to go for a wander once the situation starts to stale a bit. Also, whats all this excuse given for non-committal tomfoolery? If you are not ready to be IN a relationship, get OUT! Relationships are not by force. Yes, some women are enablers, but who is the root of the problem? I am not granting women excuses, and making the same authorial mistakes Mr Harvey made. However, I do want to point out that in the same way Steve presents men as basic creatures, so also must I call on experience & observation, to note that when a man wants something, he does everything in his power to get it. Women don't wanna 'ring the alarm' & watch another heifer swoop in & reap the fruits of our years of hard labour. But would you rather that or rot away for years in an unfruitful relationship?
Mr Harvey wrote, in my opinion, a basic flicker on his own experiences. I think the book is very much ethnocentric, and does not pertain to all men. No offence, but it's the simplest of minds that'll carry this book as a relationship bible. Having read last month's Cosmo, I'm forced to draw on the words of Zooey Deschanel & question why women of this generation fear being a woman. Why must we think like a man? Truth be told, the book carries much of the same words your (good) girlfriend would slap you with anyway, so I dunno where he's going on this eye-opening revelation front. The best chapter's the 'sports-fish vs...', other than that? *pulls out another novel* NEXT!
Onyxsta says....BLEURGH!! Looking like a baby, acting like a lady, steve's collated game plan, super shady...all a bit crazy. Xisses

27 comments

  1. haha!

    saw the film, was looking to buy the book to see what all the hype was about....still might try to check it out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO NOT DO THAT TO YOURSELF!

      Stick with just the movie. Honestly

      Delete
  2. I tried reading that book but it was like every other relationship book etc.
    your shoes are the business by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God I haven't tried any other relationship book then, cos this one was just *yawn

      Thanks boo x

      Delete
  3. yeah the shoes are the one...that was a good film...Chris Brown's character and Terrence Howard's were so annoying still

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol ouch!

      Thanks for the compliment hun :)

      Delete
  4. Good on you for finishing the book. I tried to read it on the plane back to school and thot it was a load of simple minded crap. Tossed it in my bag after 2 chapters and have no intention of ever finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It IS mindless crap. I'm just such a fighter. I set myself the challenge of finishing it and BAM! It just had to be done loooool
      TWO years it had sat on my bookshelf....until the movie lol

      Delete
  5. Lmao girl, when I saw the movie in the theaters, I gasped when Taraji's character started speaking. She sounded like me but ten years older andbitter...

    But I agree, that is why I could not finish the book. I do feel like steve did more making excuses for men and their behaviors then actually giving a good solid advice. But it is almost impossible to give a whole lot of insight on this topic for the simple fact that like you said we are all flawed and we are not all the same. Most advice will always be circumstantial...

    The movie was cool, I liked the music better lol. And as for the book, it's sitting in my sock drawer...chilling.

    ~Sherine
    Stop by and say HI!
    Confessions Of A City Girl 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU FEEL ME!! I was Taraji's character all over mate. The bitterness, the good advice to your girlfriends you never take...the 'i trump any man' attitude to dating. JEEZ! They got my type down to a TEE! And it didnt hurt that the compensation of living the high life was Michael Ealy *fans self* HELLO!!

      I've had the book for over a YEAR! Got it for my 21st birthday, and i'm months away from turning 23...that should tell you something lol. I set myself the task of finishing it, having watched the movie. I agree, to give advice, theres no such thing as being completely objective.

      Delete
  6. Thanks hun. I fell in love at 1st sight :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to watch this movie and as for the book, I don't think I'll bother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely forget the book.
      Watched the movie 3x now. Its really isn't THAT great to warrant 3 views...but its a conversation starter, for sure

      Delete
  8. Great overview. I just think that men like to turn their minds off and on for use when they please, but what can you do we love them anyways.

    I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award on my blog. check it out here...

    http://annpaigefashion.blogspot.ca/2012/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    xoxo
    annpaige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't nominated for that award. Hmm.....broadcast/spam?
      Please do not spam comment boxes hun :(

      I agree....men think with their d*cks.
      And yeah....we're attracted to them when they ARE d*cks, so what can really change?
      Sorry Steve Harvey lol

      Delete
    2. I wasn't trying to spam your comment box, I had a couple of bloggers pages open when I was commenting. Sorry for the mix up, but I'm not a spammer.

      Delete
  9. You've got gorgeus legs, cheekbones, lips, skin...greets from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks hun. Heavens bless the NEXT sale. Bagged it for £20!

      Delete
  11. Great post, you look great~!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That book is just a clear sexism at it's best. I enjoyed the movie though. Kevin Hart got me cracking out the whole time.
    Meanwhile, that pair is all sorts of awesome. I like the colour you chose too.

    www.janylbenylshares.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL pardon my typo. I meant clear sexism*** and not 'a clear sexism' lol

      Delete
    2. Precisely what I thought too. I couldn't stand turning the pages, but I couldn't write a full review without finishing the book so I soldiered my way through. Painful, to say the least.
      The movie's good. Seen it 3x...don't ask me why. I'm a true sucker for the sop, I think lol

      Thanks hun. I love burgundy/maroon :)

      Delete