Grass Aint Always Greener

I drafted this post when I was down in the dumps, but decided to post it regardless. Its been one hell of a week for me, as my Twitter followers would be all too aware of. I had difficulty in just about every aspect of my life, and instead of facing the issue heads-on, I crumbled. I fell face-down and sought solace in jealousy and envy. I looked to my peers and colleagues, and coveted what they had. But as we all know, the view's different from every angle.
 Peplum Top : Primark | Pyjama style silk Trousers : Thrifted (Local)
We live in a society that glamourises envy. I grew up on the Christian principles of the 10 Commandments, and learned from a young age that 'thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's property'. I find it hard to reconcile that message with the 'he got 10" rims spinning, he aint got nu'in on my 20's' or whatever rappers are spitting these days. Replace the rims for watch brands, or number of expensive champagne labels they pop without qualms on a night-out, and we're still back to the same line of reasoning. The pitting of one another against each other, in a not-so-friendly rivalry is what drives us in society nowadays. Teachers constantly compare the standards of students' work against each other, not to mention the age-old 'comparison of attitudes' technique, to get a tyrant to cooperate.
 Sunglasses : RayBan Wayfarers (eBay) | Hat : Forever21 | Heels : Debenhams 
Watch : Guess (ASOS) | Ring : Forever21 
What these seeds sewn early on in a child's development, reap, is a harvest of deeply embedded jealousy, self-loathing and envy. Oh! What? Now you wanna tell yourself apart from me and act like you don't feel the same at any given opportunity? Well, I once thought so too. I once saw myself as far beyond the depths of jealousy. I saw envy as a pitiful act of selfishness that I would never succumb to. Yet, when faced with the threat of being left out in the cold alone, there I was, peering through the metaphorical glass screen separating my successful peers from me; I couldn't help but bury myself in self-pity.
As I mentioned earlier, the view's always different from another angle. Here I was pitying myself, and feeling like I'd been forgotten amongst those receiving great news of late. Instead I'm bombarded with rejection letters after the other. I crashed! Not being one to indulge in my emotions, I gathered myself, my thoughts, my aspirations, and laid it all bare before God. As a Christian, I have that spiritual support system. Others may have their spouses, partners or friends, I may have the latter, but sometimes (being the emotional recluse that I am) I find that things may be out of my control and best left for God to handle. I can see now that coveting my friend's blessings, isn't gonna benefit me in the long run. Its better just to appreciate the great wonders working in others' lives, and wait patiently for your own. Life struggles may "try and knock you down, but the trick is to stay up" (Chipmunk - White Lies)
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! The grass aint always greener on the other side, only choose to remember that rewards will surely come to those who choose the good and abide. Xisses

18 comments

  1. *applauds* very inspiring and intrigueing. I've learnt a lot from your experience so I say #bleurgh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. errrrr sorry?!?! ( loool you know the voice) looove this outfit.. the trousers, the hat, the top!! <3

    life is full of ups and downs ( as they say) the downs really make me appreciate the ups!!

    www.lollihearts.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaaaa!! Thanks dude! You were there as I lusted after that F21 hat, so you played a part in the creation of this outfit :)

      Yeah...life's a rollercoaster, just gotta strap on and be prepared for the ride.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you know this but god will never give you more then you can handle, everything will work out just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the outfit
    I hope you are feeling a tad better.
    Please dont be so hard on yourself. You must remember that the transition from school to workplace is not easy.
    You'll definitely look back on this year and smile....
    Stay blessed cutie
    xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling a TON better thanks :)

      Yes, the transition is hard, and its difficult to embrace the balance of young adulthood, but its a journey and I'm glad to be taking it

      I hope I can look back on this year & its struggle and identify that without it, I wouldn't be where I was...etc etc. Thats my prayer.

      Delete
  5. I like the fact that you admit to this flaw...sometimes pride mades us refuse to accept that we are what the bible calls out to be wrong...."i.e envious" but thank God that His word is like a mirror.. whether we admit it or not, it still reveals the good & the bad regardless and guides us daily.. Bless God always for His word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pride goes before a fall.
      I am slowly learning to trust in the Lord and lean not on my own understanding. Thats the only true route to immaterial success.

      Delete
  6. Love this outfit especially the peplum top :)




    Santenne of Crystallized Elements.
    http://crystallized-elements.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that cute Peplum Blouse, i love the pants too, nice touch with the fedora!


    Please follow back at http://allofthatgoodstuff.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks hun!
    I'll be sure to check out your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The trousers are soooo nice! Such a gorgeous colour against your skin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! My sister was SO against me purchasing them, but I had a style vision. Can't wait to style them again :)

      Delete
  10. i love your blog and i love these green pants! they really do resemble grass though, really fabulous.
    your work is inspirational.

    following because reading your blog cheers me up. keep it up :-) lifted my spirits girl ;)
    www.mycurlsmyfashion.com
    hope you follow back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!
      I'm so flattered you stopped by and had a good read.
      Will take the time out to return the favour x

      Delete