Gimme Reasons to be Jubilant

Being Nigerian, I was saddened by the news on Diamond Jubilee Monday, of a plane crash that took the life of more than a few innocent passengers. I wont go into the details of this accident, as i don't believe my role as blogger comprises of being a Sky News correspondent, but I do want to talk about the juxtaposition of joy and grief, and juggling both.
 Necklace : eBay | Blazer & Top : H&M | Jeans & Handbag : ZARA | Pumps : BAY 
Photos circulated of people surrounding the plane, not taking the time out to get help for those caught in the fire, rather pausing for a minute to capture the disaster on their smartphone cameras. Within minutes, the photos went viral, and idiots were already broadcasting PSA's. I just find it all quite inconsiderate. Yes, technology has done us good in a way that we find out important news instantaneously, and can access current affairs at our fingertips. Then again, there are the cons of caring more about keeping up with trending topics than actually caring about the topic itself.
A tweetheart I follow posted a disturbing account of someone who changed their display picture to an individual who lost their life in the plane crash in Nigeria. What I fail to understand, is the lack of empathy in our present society. No regard whatsoever, is given to the family who are grieving, or the emotions of those who were close to the departed. All the displayer cares for, is coming off as connected to an affected victim, and looking like they care about an issue they know nothing about. Grieving is not to be taken lightly, and posting pictures via social networking platforms wont spur on the process, or help the griever overcome their loss any easier. Unplugging yourself from the virtual mains may be the only real way of dealing with the reality of a situation.
I don't think its fair to feel guilty for choosing to carry on with life, after sparing a minute to send condolences. However, what seems eerily wrong is OTT'ing (Over The Top) your thoughts via twitter rants, or bleurghing your ill-founded emotions via a guilt-striken broadcast. No, I don't think posting a silhouette drawing of Nigeria with a candle in the middle will send a message to the President to take active steps in appointment, or sort out the nation's emergency services. Dude isn't even a contact on my blackberry, so how will he see it?? I just don't understand the reasoning behind this. In order to take action and stand up for a cause with a difference, one actually has to physically take a stand to correct those wrongs. Display pictures, ignorant tweets and emotionally charged status updates wont do much to make a change. You have to speak up to be heard, stand up to be seen, and live a life to be emulated.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Hey Queenie, gimme a reason to be jubilant! Xisses

25 comments

  1. Everything you said in that post is all so TRUE! Sometimes we get so caught up in our own way of living that we forget to take the time out to see whats really going on around us! I know I do! And I feel guilty for saying it but I am only human!

    Thanks Onyxsta for making me more aware of whats going on in our world today and the more people are aware then change can and will happen!
    My deepest condolences goes out to the families of the victims, and to think that they could have been saved, if not for the ignorance of some! SMH

    Love that blue blazer! The fit and everything!

    xoxo TY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet msg hun, and I'm glad I enlightened my readers and that you agree

      Delete
  2. great post ! loove your bag and blazer honey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY REALLY REALLY like your style in this post! Refreshing!
    My prayers go to the victims and their families.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN! This age of technology has shrouded our empathy and desensitized us to situations like this. People rather be the first to tweet about something than the first to help out...it's sick smh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post really made me think! I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a true post....technology has de-sensitised us. we're more about trending topics that the actual topic itself.

    my heart and prayers go to the victims of the plane crash and their families x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly its the current state of affairs.

      Amen to your prayers.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes we can be very out of touch...it's sad! You look amazing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is sad.

      And I'm grateful, thanks :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy you posted about this incident, cause i almost felt like the British based Nigerians, did not seem to care about it, because NO ONE and i mean NO ONE apart from you, even mentioned it. I personally think that it is quite sad and kind of shows where their priorities are. However may all the souls lost rest in eternal peace, AMEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped to shed light on the situation without trivialising it, or mocking it by theatrically expressing my emotions. I tried to handle it in the best way I could, while trying to remain respectful of those affected. I guess its not a topic that needs to be splatted about every page...I think that was the main point of this post. There is no need to see it everywhere. If you care, and in your heart you know your sympathy is genuine...then so be it.

      Amen to your prayers

      Delete
  9. My thoughts exactly ..people find a way of making the situation about them , and one trying to make claim to a dead person is what i don't even get. if u really care, grieve behind closed doors and say a prayer for the departed that they may be accepted by Christ Jesus. That said, may the souls of the departed rest in peace and may their family and friends find comfort in the bosom of Christ. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank God! My sentiments exactly. Too many times, with an event like this (and others), theres such a quick rally of individuals ready to show of that they too have been impacted, until the next bandwagon rolls by. For what reason? Everyone is so ready to add in their own 2cents. Is it because we truly care? Or is it to show off how 'wordly & cultured' we are. I don't know about this my generation. We're so eager to 'capture' the moment, instead of just 'living' it. Great written post by the way.

    Twitter - @Stef_O_Nay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly...you couldn't have worded it any better, its sad *sigh*

      Thank you

      Delete
  11. Great post, so true what you wrote!

    xoxo
    - http://fashionnfairytale.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the blazer's shade of blue- that color is so hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My heart seriously goes out to the families... This is the reason why I choose to stay away as much as I can from technology... I would rather loose out on the pro's of technology if that means it will make me a better person (unlike the idiots who let tech take over their lives)

    A wOnderful post hunni! Always full of heart and substance... Ur style is extremely to my taste on these pics! Love ur cheesy grin in one of them :)
    Brain & beauty right there ! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology has its flaws, but its benefits are undeniable. I just feel that some people choose to exploit it and its just pitiful *sigh* We're becoming desensitised to sensitivity :(

      Thanks hun x *blush*

      Delete