BLEURGHair: Frankie Flick Vs Meagan Mop

Typing this post on #TfL spurred on by yet another compliment of my new short do. So here goes! The look works with pretty much the same concept as 'The Toni Cut', and the 'Retro Rihanna Shave', except these styles are bulkier at the top i.e. more tracks we're added for effect. Not to mention, the sides/leave outs are purely natural. That's right, with a bit of moisture I'm working with a full-fledged mini Afro. No joke! I've switched up my hair care routine a bit since my last BLEURGHair, so I think it best I give you a full breakdown. This is gonna be LONG, so grab some popcorn!
The first BLEURGHair was inspired by Frankie Sandford from the UK girlband, The Saturdays. I've loved her style since forever! I love Instagram (follow me, @Onyxsta), and after stalking nearly every pic under the hashtag of Frankie's hair, I was set on this style. I've named this the 'Frankie Flick', as it involves the bangs flicking stylistically from the centre, and part of the side, to fully cover the ear.
My sister braided & wove me in, and my sides/leave-out was still short from the 'The Natural Crop'. My sister used an all-back cornrow/braid pattern, and wove the tracks in horizontally. The issue I had with this style was that she braided backwards and finished with a horizontal braid at the crown. When placing tracks on this pattern, it looked wiggish, and I struggled to blend my natural hair with the tracks. After straightening the hair, cutting and styling it, I was pleased with the result but found that the sweep was far shorter than the desired effect.
 Maintenance Routine:
1. Wash (with shampoo) and deep condition hair weekly (or use Dr Miracle treatment every other week).
2. Apply leave-in conditioner of choice.
3. Blowdry hair with comb-picked hairdryer (found in afro-carribean hair stores), but leave hair slightly moist, to air-dry.
4. Apply John Frieda frizzease serum before straightening with Babyliss Pro 2000 straighteners.
5. Once hair straight, apply Dr. Miracle edge holding gel, and then wrap hair with silk wrap and leave overnight. VOILA!
This style came to me thrillingly while watching 'Jumping the Broom' last Spring. I'd never been a Meagan Good fan as I found her style kindda skanky and so overtly sexy. She put those thoughts on the backburner with this mane! My lust for this style was then catapulted to a whole new scale when a guy friend of mine, who'd just started watching 'Californication' spotted Meagan Good and stated that she reminded him of me? Geeez! Was I flattered?
This hair was a last-minute project that started at 9pm, after dinner and night-prayers, and finished around midnight as I was catching up with TV and I can't braid hair to save my life. After noting the error of an all-back braid pattern, I decided to start the braids from the crown and work my way forward (harder than it sounds when braiding on yourself). I then sewed in the tracks diagonally, rather than horizontally, for the desired side-sweep effect. Finally, i wrapped a track around the top, all the way to the side, to really seal in the look. The tracks work under the 'invisible parting' concept, and don't need the leave-outs at the side to conceal the tracks. The only difference in the maintenance routine for the 'Meagan Mop', is that I twist the tracks around bendy rollers (pack of 8 for £1 from Poundland) before bed, and the side remains wrapped in a headscarf to retain the shape (top left).
Onyxsta says...BLEURGHair!! Which do you prefer? The Frankie Flick or the Meagan Mop? Xisses

32 comments

  1. I LOVE this hairstyle. It looks beautiful on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks boo!
      Which do you prefer? The Frankie Flick or the Meagan Mop?

      Delete
  2. love the frankie flick. short hair really suits you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks hun!
      I prefer the Meagan Mop more tbh...

      Delete
  3. You have such a cute blog here,i am your newest follower and i would love if we could follow eachother so we could keep in touch more and be friends!
    Waiting for you to visit my blog!
    Kisses and Hugs
    Theo

    http://countryoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Theodora :)
      I'll pay a lil visit to your blog now x

      Delete
  4. wow!! that's so cute and fashion!!Well done honey
    IF U WANT TO VISIT MY BLOG STREET CHIC http://chicstreetchoc.blogspot.com/
    U CAN ALSO FIND ME ON FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/pages/Street-Chic/126609910754628

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting your blog as we speak.

      Thanks hunny x

      Delete
  5. Glad you stumbled across my blog, and thanks for the compliments.
    Paying yours a visit now x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow, i love this look but honestly dont think i have to guts to chop off my hair! looks great on you tho!

    hope to see you on my blog :)

    Figure Of Chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like that for AGES but I'm glad I did as I have a new found confidence with short hair

      Delete
  7. Ive been considering going back to short hair for some time now and really like both looks!
    I guess with a few track you could have either one

    http://wotshernameagain.blogspot.com
    https://twitter.com/#!/Wotshernameagai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou sweetie, and if you feel it? DO IT! LOL

      Delete
  8. the megan steals my heart!

    J X

    ReplyDelete
  9. This hair cut suits you, you look stunning :)
    LaceyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it, it looks great on you
    NRC ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your hair cut!! I've always wanted to cut my hair like Frankie Sandford!!

    Diary of a Short Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've been stalking her style for forever! SO effortlessly beautiful

      Delete
  12. Love your hair! I wish I could do something different with my hair but I look bizarre without it long!

    $100 Shopbop GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooooh! Giveaway? Don't mind if I do :) LOL
      Thanks btw...and I don't think you'd look silly, although I DO prefer you with your long mane.

      Delete
  13. If I was to ever have my hair short this is the hairstyle I would go for it's just perfect, love it on you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks sweetie! i LOVE your rocker chic style....gah! Short hair added to that would just be hott madness! *fans self*

      Delete
  14. I love Frankie and your looks fab!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! I love Frankie too...my fave Saturday, by far! She's just SO chilled. Like a sexy, laid back tomboy, just like me (not the sexy part...but u know what I mean *cringe* LOL)

      Delete
  15. I really wanna try the meagan mop style but I'm lost in d concealing tracks" part. My hair is short n won't conceal d tracks properly. Obviously, ur leave outs isn't covering by d parting(I hope u understand me). So how do I get d stylist to conceal d tracks with d weaves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....I think I know what you mean, and I tried to be as descriptive as possible. I am not a hairstylist, but I did try and describe what worked for me. I braided down, and sewed in the track horizontally and it sweeps forward and conceals the tracks, all by itself. Its like a faux-invisible parting. I dunno how else to help you boo. You're gonna need to have a leave-out at the back I'm afraid. There's no cutting corners there.

      Hope that helped

      Delete
  16. In love with the Megan good hair too!! I really want to go for it for my next birthday. Trying something new with short hair, I just need to find that confidence! Looks fab on you :)
    zeph.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOH! DO IT!!
      Literally the best thing I ever did....cutting my hair.
      Its SO liberating, and I feel like i've finally found my true identity (style-wise)

      Delete