Stop The Traffik!

Currently reading The Long Song by Andrea Levy (great writer who also wrote one of my favourite BBC drama adaptations, Small Island), and I can't help but note what a shocking contrast it is to my last novel, My Last Duchess by Daisy Goodwin. Both remarkable pieces of work, I must note, but juxtaposed I cannot fail to draw comparisons with their authorial tones and viewpoints.
"If our ancestors survived the slave ship, they were strong. If they survived the plantation, they were clever" Andrea Levy quoting a Jamaican acquaintance.
 Boobtube : Ankara creation from Nigeria (remade by me) | Trousers : ZARA
Coming from direct African decent, I was ignorant to the history of slavery, cotton trade and plantation fields ironically, until I myself crossed the pond. I was such a tyrant in class, and acted out of character for one of colour during black history month and history lessons centring on the topic of slavery. In retrospect, it was my way of dealing with something that seemed alien and inhumane. How can one sell another human being? I struggled to understand the logic of self-imposed hierarchy. Who deemed one race superior over the other? These were the questions that played on my mind as I mocked Kunta in Roots, or made foul jokes at the expense of those whose heritage rode on it *bows head in shame*
 Wedges : Primark | Ring : **Gifted
My Last Duchess centres on a caucasian American heiress, but for the purposes of this post, I want to shed light on her mixed race maid. The author dabbled on the topic of inter-racial relationships, rape and slavery, but in such a dainty manner. The maid was given hand-me-downs and would pretend to be her mistress in town, trying to earn the same privileges. What I deduced from this, was an inferiority complex. The maid was willing to bend over backwards and sacrifice her happiness and her love life for an ungrateful mistress who accorded her no real respect. Andrea Levy, not too far into The Long Song, draws attention to the fact that the novel is not like others one may have read. The detail of the maltreatment of negroes is so graphic, and the degrading language flung around dismissively by the white slave masters cannot be mistaken.
"Those preachers have put it in their head that they are as worthy as a white man. Good chance to put those niggers back in their place" (Page 67 The Long Song - HardBack)
The harsh reality of slavery and the journey to cultural identity cannot be brushed over by embellished diction. The sad part is, slavery is far from being extinct. I watched shocking footage on sky sports lastweek, of a hidden camera which captured the illegal sale of African boys to several European countries with the promise of becoming a world class footballer, but under complete 'ownership' of his master. As a budding Human Rights' Barrister, this account enraged me. As today marks the assassination of MLK Jr, I urge you to look past colour and race, and look towards the plight of humanity as a unit. Take a second of your time today to think of MLK's 'dream, and pray for those not fortunate enough to have the freedom that we take so much for granted.





Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! "We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we fight to defend" Barack Obama. Xisses

37 comments

  1. beautiful post. i was going to write about maya angelou's books on my blog over the easter break. when you read books concerning slavery or the treatment of black people, it has a strong impact, whether it is fiction or not.....it's powerful and really gets you thinking.

    btw, love the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her classic "I know why the caged bird sings", such a great read. I'm not sure I'd definitely recommend 'Long Song', its trying on the emotions and takes a lot of willpower to get through, but its good.

      Thanks...I transformed it from a puffy-sleeved aunty-gimme-cake trad number to this, on my new sewing machine, so I'm chuffed :)

      Delete
  2. great look! Im a follower now.
    love for you to follow me back

    xxx maruschka
    www.girlmeetsaccessories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyou sweetie! Taking a look at your blog ASAP :)

      Delete
  3. Amazing post. Love your blog and style, if you like we can follow each other.

    xoxo
    http://www.qhuleque.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post I know something about this.
    lovely look ;)
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece of writing was really well written and opened my eyes to slavery; of course I learnt about it in school but like all of my history lessons never took it on board as it had no connection to me.
    Your outfit is gorgeous, I adore your jeans (such a stunning, rich colour) and your boobtube is super cute <3
    http://cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I want to open eyes to the reality that its still occurs in society today, so it warms my heart that a soul was touched today.
      Thanks hun, I love those trousers too, they're a magical pair that don't discriminate against me when I gain weight LOL

      Delete
  6. Onyxsta,
    How are you doing? I'm Tarah of Tarah and the City.
    So you read a lot? I'm sure you are used to reading seeing as though you are a law graduate. That's very impressive and I think it is wonderful that you are reading about a piece of history that effected all of us. Slavery is a real issue and I'm glad that you are shedding the light on it with your well written post. Good job! You have great fashion sense, I love the zara pants. :) I am now following you on twitter and here.
    Always,
    Tarah and the City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to read the post. I'm all for shedding light on issues that are brushed over as things of the past. People suffer from trafficking whether it be for sexual or other purposes at a disturbing rate everyday. Its a real issue, and I want to open eyes to the reality of it.

      Delete
  7. LOve it, sooo cute! Love the high waister pants, You really rocking them :-)

    http://fashioncherry.co/model-profile-bar-refaeli/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it! I love the layout to the content and everything in between! Your style is just impeccable and your blog is simply the epitome of perfection! I am your newest, most avid follower. I would love it if you could perhaps check out my blog and follow back?

    Love from, THE EASTERN PEARL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. My blog has undergone some major changes since I first launched it as a joint venture with my bestie and flatmate a while back now. I'm happy that so many love to read and are inspired by my posts, it keeps me going and life is a constant inspiration. Will definitely check out your blog boo x

      Delete
  9. this sounds like a good book babe. i am done with my last book so i might as well check this out.
    lovee your outfit! such a hotmomma!

    xx Mode Junkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it hun. Its emotionally draining at times, and I wont lie, certain days I had to muster up all my energy to progress from one line to the next, but its a good book.
      *blush* You are far too kind

      Delete
  10. Oh my, you're killin it girl!
    stylishedforever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This look is AMAZING!! I love the top, you look great

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the top with the pants...
    that last photo is soo gorgeous!..it should be in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww *blush* THANKYOU! Thats soooo sweet, I'm flattered

      Delete
  13. The book might be fictional,but slavery is real,so good that you share what you are reading and feeling on your blog.You are rocking that look...love the pants combined with the ankara!!FAB!!

    www.sharzville.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right...I agree with you 100%
      Thanks for the compliments hun, you're too kind

      Delete
  14. The effects of the slave trade is still seriously felt today. Meanwhile, I LOVE your hair and outfit. You look hawt!

    Adiya
    Muse Origins FB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its felt today and still occurs today. Trying to raise awareness.
      Thanks sweetie x

      Delete