Public Relations

*Sips Twinnings Lemon & Ginger Tea* Yasssss Hunny! Grand epic juices flowed down my Instagram feed this weekend! I'm sure you all heard, but in case you didn't? Let me fill you in on the details that seeped into the public domain. Karrueche Tran broke up with Chris Brown, and he embitteredly leaked intimate details of their relationship (from threesomes to contractual obligations stated from the outset) and the circumstances surrounding their breakup (she allegedly cheated with Drake). *smothers tea bag with manuka honey and pours steaming hot water into mug* See, Chris Brown rightly thinks we were all entitled to this information because we are fans...no wait, we are friends...hmm scratch that, we are...we're NOTHING to them!
Dress : Red Herring (Debenhams)
I've been thinking about the growth and popularity of gossip of late, and this incident stood to magnify the problem with modern culture; we are too engrossed in the life of others! I for one, scrolled, scowled and was scorned by the tea spilt by Mr Sweet Boy Brown. I just don't understand why there was any real need to tarnish her image publicly. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" William Congreave penned, but I guess  in the age of metrosexuality and mitches, the lines are blurred. My guy was BURNT and felt no way about letting the world see just how wounded he truly was, and point fingers at the root cause while he was at it.
City of Bath
My brother shared a similar exposé with me recently; one of his boys had stumbled across vindictive messages on his girlfriend's phone, informing him of just how exactly she had been cheating on him. My guy then screen captured the texts and put her on blast on his Facebook. Literally a whole album showcasing how his ex had broken his heart. I love a good bit of gossip, God forgive me, but I feel like a line has to be drawn when it comes to the intimate details of one's relationship. I was reading Absolutely Lucy's post on the 10 signs your relationship needs to go offline, and found myself nodding in concurrence on all points made.
Necklace : Abuja Arts & Crafts Market | Watch : Guess
Sandals : Enugu Market
We live in this super snazzy tech world where we feel like our own PR. We can photoshop our lives and crop out the nonsense we'd rather hide from the world. However, in this age of 5 seconds of fame, it seems we've become far too engrossed with sharing than we are living. If Brown had only taken a minute to truly reflect upon his emotions, he'd have exercised some self-restraint before embarrassing Karrueche and himself (and the third parties involved *wink wink*) publicly. I'm not alien or immune to this. I, myself, have previously shared one too many details of my relationship on social networking sites (from Facebook profile pics and relationship statuses to BBM status updates), and was forced to deal with public intrusion when sh*t hit the fan. What happened to intimate details remaining behind closed doors? Perhaps there are some benefits that come of sharing the inner workings of turbulent relationships online; there's been greater awareness of identifying the common traits of domestic abuse and means of its prevention. But for the broken hearted, side-chicked, sore ego'd people out there? Reel it in.
Relationships "should be a private pleasure, not a public boast" Jason Mason Brown

7 comments

  1. I totally agree with you. We need to draw the line with sharing on social media. Some things should be kept private. the problem is when you over share your "love" with us, it's almost like we are entitled to an explanation on why the relationship went sour. I struggle with how much to share with the world as well. May God give us wisdom.

    Ps. I love how you tackle present day issues with tact. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen oh!
      Praying for that God-given wisdom also because I have definitely erred in the past, even with friendships gone sour. And as entertaining as it is at the time, it truly is awks in retrospect lol

      Thanks hun. Glad you like my blog

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you, while I do love a bit of gossip and can be a bit nosy somethings should be kept private. With that being said I love your dress and the necklace goes perfectly with it.

    Princess Audu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur and thank you sweetie! You're far too kind

      Delete
  3. Compliments of the season. I hope you're having a great Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated Christmas. It truly was one of my best yet. Not so much because of the presents or anything; just the love and joy that consumed the season. *sigh* take me back

      Delete
  4. Definitely!
    Social media has gassed me into believing I have the right to comment on anyone's pic/image/thoughts/life! Just because one has an opinion, doesn't mean it's worth sharing. Learning this the hard way

    ReplyDelete