Gloves Off

And so the journey begins. I have stripped off the thermal gloves and can now proclaim that I am well & truly settled into life here in Nigeria. I relocated here for two internships in NGOs focusing on advocating legislative change for females by promulgating gender equality bills. Like Chimamanda, I was taken aback the first instance someone questioned my position as a feminist, but I have since taken a comfortable seat in this machine of change & I'm so excited to share my journey with you guys.
Necklace : Wallis | Belt : Thrifted/Vintage | Watch : Guess 
This post will focus on the absurdity of the lack of adequate provisions by the state for pregnant women. All medical bills are privately paid, although there is a clear difference between the state hospitals and the private ones. Pregnant women are handed a list of products and supplies (aside from the bill for the medical procedure itself) that they are to attain before admission. Apparently, some medical practitioners go as far as to list particular brand names the women are to purchase, without which, they will be denied admission on their due date. One of the listed items in question are medical/surgical gloves. You heard me right. Women are expected (and generally, patients alike) to buy particular gloves that the gynaecologists, surgeons, midwives, nurses etc, will use when aiding in the delivery of the baby. How preposterous to expect such from a patient, without which, access to basic health and welfare rights are denied.
Dress : House of Fraser
I was stunned to discover the reality for some women in Nigeria. With 65% of the population living in absolute poverty, 75% of which are women, how can such requirements be expected before performing the safe delivery of a new born? This is a clear infringement on the fundamental (and universally recognised) right to life. Not only is this putting the life of the mother in danger, but also possibly risking that of the unborn child. Setting such unattainable requirements for women inadvertently creates a barrier to basic human rights; thus infringing it. As one of the wealthiest African countries, I am revelling in my latest discoveries of the extent to which gluttony and greed by aged politicians is prioritised at the cost of  basic human rights of women.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Let's all challenge the Doctors, Politicians etc to a duel, gloves off.

9 comments

  1. Wow that's insane, jaw dropping stuff.. Thanks for shedding the light, I will follow how you get on and what you discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Thank you for following & I hope to show a multi-dimensional (as I do not intend to only showcase the negative) view of life in Nigeria.

      Delete
  2. Yay, so excited for your journey! The greed culture in Africa is one of the main reasons that development is unfair, with women at the bottom of the pile. It can be so disheartening. This is why feminist activism is so important and necessary. So cool that you get to do your part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The distribution IS unfair, I agree. The disparity between the bourgeois & the proleteriat is shocking! And to think, they only like footsteps apart? Its heartbreaking.

      Thankyou for understanding my role here & seeing further into the issue. I hope to share much more of what I see, learn & work on while I'm here...

      Delete
  3. Great piece, enjoyed reading it. Now the phrase "ignorance is bliss" would apply but the whole phrase "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" wouldn't. It's very enlightening and hopefully we can all achieve TRUE FREEDOM. It's a shame many have adopted the "if you can't beat them, join them" approach because the people of now and tomorrow need our help! TOGETHER, WE CAN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post & I pray the same too. I'm only here for a short time but there's so much I've already taken in my first fortnight here...I definitely believe that Together, we can!!!!

      Delete
  4. Great post. Nigeria really needs to change its approach to a lot of things. Everything seems to be driven by greed and personal gain. I really hope that this generation can do something to help better the country. I would love to go over as well and do something to help, if I can finally persuade my parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* The world needs to change, I agree. Its just so sad that the few at the top are choosing to stash all the money & resources for themselves, leaving the already poor citizens to suffer and scrounge for their basic rights & needs. Do come over, I urge all to do so. There's so much room for change & a great need for help here. The rich choose to pull wool over their eyes, isolated on the Island thinking if they do so long enough, the problem will sort itself out. It hasn't so far...

      I planned it and when everything was in place, I informed my parents. I'm not sure how old you are, but I definitely advise to do your research thoroughly, before embarking on any projects abroad.

      Delete