Off the Rail

I attended the private launch party of 'Off the Rail' in a plush rooftop studio overlooking Canary Wharf this evening. I was the +1 of my BFF of almost 10 years, my beloved Wammie, Babee Bee. As an up-and-coming embellishment designer, who has worked for the likes of Monsoon and Puma, she decided to venture out and design her own line of niche statement accessories; aptly named 'Burju'.
 Jacket : Designed & created by my BFF and Lady of the hour; **Burju 
Top : ZARA (worn back to front)
Trousers : Thrifted (London) (originally from M&S) | Heels & Bag : ZARA
I spoke to the fabulous organisers behind 'Off the Rail', and I was enlightened on the concept behind this genius scheme. 'Off the Rail' is a platform for young, up-and-coming designers to showcase one-off pieces for a month only period.
Website : off-the-rail.com will be launching at 12 midnight tonight (30th June 2012) and will also be featured on Huffington Post to coincide with the launch. Be sure to check out the work of budding designers, and cease the chance at purchasing unique pieces!
The event itself was divine. Canapes, mohitos and delectable cupcakes, not to mention, great company were not to go amiss at 'Off the Rail'. As soon as Prince Cassius walked into the room, I fell in love with his afro. I was unaware that this dude has a 10k+ following on twitter, as he was so down-to-earth and absolutely lovely. He approached me and confessed his lust for my jacket and when I pointed out the designer was my BFF and one of the designers showcasing her jewellery, he had nothing but love for her work.
(Disclaimer: Apologies! I've been addicted to popping tags and gnawing on the plastic link since...forever)
Sunglasses : Oscar de la Renta (purchased at TK Maxx) | Watch : Michael Kors | Studs : Matalan (Menswear) | Hairstyle : Meagan Mop
I think this idea is so brilliant, especially now that the fashion market is saturated with the same merchandise. I can't count the amount of times I've read a frustrated tweet about the replica looks on Tumblr of crop tops, denim cut-offs and Jeffrey Campbell Litas. BLEURGH!! It's refreshing to have a site dedicated to being different, and showcasing emerging talent, rather than posting dupes or "trends" (gosh! I loathe that word). Be sure to check out 'Burju' collection on http://cargocollective.com/burcukilic which also has a link to 'off the rail' at the top of the page, and show support to my bestfriend and great designer.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Grab your 'Burju' pieces before they fly off the rail. Xisses

29 comments

  1. Sounds like it was a great event. Congrats to your BFF on being able to showcase her designs.

    -Shakiyla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really WAS a great event. Thanks...I'm SO proud of her :)

      Delete
  2. nice pictures great summary of the events! His afro is huge lol btw what's in your mouth in the head shots lol...felt like asking
    have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His afro was absolutely HUGE!!!!
      LOL I wrote a disclaimer. Its a clothes tag boo

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures and love the outfit!!
    xoxo asiahlynn
    http://asiahlyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, I just found your blog... follow each other??? let me know ok!
    www.petitgraphie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup yup...I will
      Although, I'm not a believer in 'follow for follow' comments. Thanks

      Delete
  5. that's one big afro he got there!
    xo


    www.mydutchfashionstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a cool event! cupcakes are always a winner xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was...and the cupcakes looked divine!

      Delete
  7. I love your outfit, and your hair is amazing! What a fun event.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge fan of plaid and you have really awesome hair!

    Shikha
    Red Mera Vintage

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I REALLY love your hairstyle. Suits you beautifully

    http://juliaroars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the jacket, your hair, AND your makeup! You look gorgeous <3 Does your designer friend have a website? Or is off the rail the only place to see her work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jacque!

      Yep I have an online portfolio where you can view all of my current accessory pieces, and if any of them are of interest I have a direct link on my website to the off-the-rail website where you can purchase them :)

      Thanks for your interest!

      Burcu x

      Cargocollective.com/burcukilic

      Delete
  11. Love this outfit, very cute blazer!!

    xx

    www.watchmestyle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really love this look! U look fab!!
    Oscar de La Renta woop woop
    thats my boss!
    I always feel so hype when anyone is in ODLR pardon me lol
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoop WHoop indeed lol
      Oh wow! Your boss? Hello!

      Delete