FELA!!

** Soundtrack of the Minute - Collection of Fela Kuti's Greatest Hits **
I've been looking forward to this post since I saw The Smiths (Will & Jada) and my hubby, Jay Z, were in talks of bringing the legend to life on stage on Broadway. I considered taking a trip Stateside just to catch it, and when I heard it was coming to the UK, I hopped on the op ASAP!! I got the family tickets for Christmas and even though my brother's jobs became an obstacle, we still had LOADS of family fun :)
Finger Candy : Swarovski Laureen Ring | 'Love' engraved rings : Miss Selfridge
Black Band Bracelets : Miss Selfridge | Watch : Guess
 Blazer : H&M | Ankara Corset : **Gift from Auntie | Arm Candy : ZARA | Peglegs : ASOS | Heels : Miss Selfridge
I thought I'd wear an outfit influenced by Nigerian culture and what better than ankara? I love this piece so much and I'm looking forward to new designs I wish to make for summer. :)
I wasn't actually meant to take any pictures and got told off by one of the wardens....but you know me, I do it for the fans LOL xisses
My dad sat beside me and was probably the best commentator EVER! His input wasn't too annoying, but needed for numbers like ITT - International Thief-Thief (which he informed was actually about Abiola funnelling National funds for a misrepresented International Telecom (forgotten what the last T was))...and the hilariously choreographed "your shit dey smell", which traces back to ignorant early stereotypes of the White man being so pure he never excretes poo. Funny right?
 It was clear from the play, just how much of an influence his mother had on his music and the movement that became 'AfroBeats'. Although he'd failed in the eyes of spectators, to complete what he set out to accomplish in the UK, his mother was supportive of his choice to pursue music and make a difference that way. My mum informed me that other than her being the 1st woman to drive an automobile in Nigeria, she was one of the first female activists in Nigeria, empowering women to stand up for equal rights. Its like Kanye said "with that in my blood, I was born to be different".
My parents informed me that as much as Kalakuta was idealised as an artificial nation of freedom in the play, it actually became such a nuisance to students of Unilag at the time (where my dad did his 1st degree). He told me how the police and natives were so disturbed by the "Ghanaian prostitutes" (his words, not mine), and thats what triggered the infamous wedding of 27 women all at once!! Someone say Original PIMP!!
The 'Fela' actor was AMAZE-balls...SHEEEEESH!! I had a mini-crush on his abs and fanned myself when he went topless....yes, infront of Daddy! LOL...I couldn't help myself!! And we all know Fela was the original skinny-jean'd black dude so when my guy strolled on stage and was talking ticking clocks and second hand wandering....well, lets just say his 'hands' weren't still! LOL
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Don't be a 'zombie', make a difference in your own way. *Now making architectural plans for Kala-Yeka* Xisses 
P.S.
I'm currently in the revision stage of the 1st part of my final year exams so I will be MIA for a while....bear with me *blushes*....but when I return, there'll be a lovely post chronically my epic quest to see Aubrey Drake Graham....what a BEAUT!! I'm also tryna figure out how to work iMovie to edit the video for you guys, and any help will be appreciated!! Xisses

42 comments

  1. Man I wanted to see this show. I like the outfit. Looks like it was amazing!

    xoxo Monroe

    Fashion Steele NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your blazer, looking good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really wanted to see this while i was in NY last month, but it just didn't happen. glad you enjoyed it and recapped it for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO jealous! I've heard it's amazing and I've just been listening to the original Broadway soundtrack on the website < cheap!
    I'm trying to work out if I can get tickets for my dad's birthday in August, though I may not be here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed the show. I saw this show a few months back. Interesting to hear your father's input since he was there around the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really wanted to see it, was planning on going. and that flopped :( jealous! i heard its so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sooo jealous! I wanted to see Fela as I am a fanatic thanks to growing up on him with my father always playing him. When I did a tee shirt line I always had a shirt contributed to him. Too bad a combination of being in America and having exams now in the North prevented me from going. At least the movie is coming out in Jand soon! btw you look good, love the ankara bustier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your blazer! thanks for your nice comments!

    thestyle-child.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like youre blog and i follow you

    i hope you follow me too^^

    http://yeahhrangers.blogspot.com/

    kiss kiss

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your outfit. very chic! Especially love your heels :)
    Thank you for the comment!
    Nat xo
    www.fashionista-nat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely outfir & that blazer<3 btw, you're hair colours so wonderful! i love red hair!

    haha yeah it's always grand when you're starstruck and everyone around is just like ' do i have to know him/her?' for some reason, it happend quite a lot to me last year xD

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovin ur outfits as usual and ur accessories.
    Went to see it and thought it was good too altho i cudnt brave the snaps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're looking so chic in that white blazer! I wish I could go see the show! It looks amazing!! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck for your exams!!

    nice pics!Like the party!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so Jealous I wish we had stuff like this in Vegas =( xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I would have loved to go. It looks like you had a blast!!


    Fashion Rehab

    ReplyDelete
  17. SOOOOOO GOOD PICS!!!!U'RE LOOKING LOVELY DEAR,SO STYLISH,I LOVE THE BLAZER!!!!
    P.S. I'VE STARTED TO FOLLOW U,ON GOOGLE AND BLOGLOVIN!:)
    KISSES

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks like a fun events and you look great! btw you got a nice blog, I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The show looked really fun! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Yes, I absolutely loved the show! The dancers were amazing and of course the music. I saw the film about Fela back when I was at University and it was really great to see the show. I went to a Q&A about it with the producers before Jada & Jay Z were on board and it really sold me on it. Much love lady~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blazer!
    http://anasilviadiniz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh wow your blog is so colorful and you have an awesome style... Btw thanks on the tip about the leggins.. Im gonna see if my nearest hm has them =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. sounds like you had a great time plus your outfit looks great!

    jadepurplebrown.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wish I lived in London, hope they did all the Nigerian accents and everything...
    Oh my days we have the same idea, I'm planning to buy loads of ankara over the summer and making loads of modern inspired pieces...I wish they did those prints in silk or chiffon even though I vowed never to use those fabrics ever again, keep us updated on that during the summer...Following..x

    http://followmein5inchheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, thank you for the comment! Yeah, I know school can be so "bleurgh"..haha :-) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing pictures!! :)

    And thank you for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment, : )
    Your blog is really cool so I'm following, :)

    xx
    Ester

    http://dieblogvonster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year to you too hun!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. love your bag and blazer great post :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. goodluck with exams hun, i forget those in jand take exams after the holidays.

    wow 27 women smh CRAZY! I could see kanye trying to pull a hugh hefner.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your blazer and shoes! looks like such a fun night!! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. looks like an amazing event!!!
    LOVE your outfit, especially the top.

    http://themessenger-bag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loovely blog dear!!!You're gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the outfit (the peg leg pants are so hot) you have a great blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. amazing blazer!! it looks like you had fun!

    F. (opinionslave.blogspot.com) x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your outfit and the show looks amazing!:)

    Love,
    FashionFabrice.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for such an awesome comment! :) I love these photos. You have such an interesting blog, I love it!





    www.shevahh.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. It seems so funny darling!!! Fabulous blog!!!
    Kisses,
    Cocò

    www.daddysneatness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. i very like your hair

    ReplyDelete
  39. onyeka i tagged you in a blogaward on my blog...cos ur blog is like being in ur head..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. your blog is very cool and your style too...

    ReplyDelete
  41. hi darling! hope you're off to a good start of the week
    thanks for sharing this post and for stopping by me so i could find you.
    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  42. sounds like you had a great time x

    ReplyDelete