Orange Aint The New Black

I don't watch the show 'Orange is the New Black', so this is in no way a review. My rationale is, if I wanted to see girls in uniform getting it on, I'd commit a crime & drop the soap once incarcerated. That may not be the mindset of avid viewers, but that's my prerogative. This post title is a multiple entendre; 'orange' symbolising caucasians who taint their identity in the hope of being embraced by the minority-ethnic society; 'aint' because there is no substitute for being black; 'new' symbolising the contemporary understanding of what it means to be a millennial black person; and 'black' being all encompassing of minority-ethnic groups and culture.
Dress : Topshop | Studs : Betsey Johnson | Heels : Dorothy Perkins

I was amused by the comical lashings Bieber received from African-American entertainers on his Roast, but was shocked to learn the motivation behind his tomfoolery; an apparent bid to be black. This post is the result of biting my tongue after the Rachel Dolezal 419, and the backlash of Kylie Jenner's cornrows. It seems one too many caucasian individuals are moulding a media image of 'black' centred around hyper-sexualisation, delinquency, and self-glorification. I'm a black female who's always remained on the right side of the law, is not particularly curvaceous (and I'm content that way), not to mention quiver at the thought of even plugging my blog or personal achievements publicly.
Bishopsgate Institute, Liverpool Street, London
I was invited to a private tour of the Bishopsgate Institute to learn more about their eclectic archive collection & was particularly taken by the Bernie Grant items in the basement (which should be curated for an exhibition next season - October). Grant donated commercial racist paraphernalia such as racist postcards depicting black individuals as monkeys munching on bananas, Robertson's golliwog-emblazoned jam jars, and Darkie toothpaste, to name but a few. I was saddened to see how black people were depicted only a few years ago. I never dealt with racism growing up in Nigeria because there was no distinction between me and the next lass. Moving to the UK and dealing with my first racist attack aged 10, I remember being confused by the mixed race boy calling me a monkey when he must be half a monkey himself! I had never valued my caucasian counterparts as being any better, as I excelled far above them academically, and was equally regarded as aesthetically pleasing (in primary school). So why was the rest of society placing one race above the other on TV, in songs, and in the employment market?
Black people have come a long way in carving a culture and identity that is progressive. Gone are the days where I felt the need to lie about my ethnic origin; everything from 1/12th Australian to a smidgen Portuguese was claimed. Now we live in a society where Azonto is played on CapitalFM, Judges can discuss JayZ's Magna Carter album, and ankara can be bought in mainstream retailers like ZARA. To pull us back to a time where our features were mocked, and our aspirations were proudly curtailed under the mantra 'british jobs for british people' would be regressive. I am proud to mentor individuals who aim to conquer the workforce, change policy to be more socially inclusive, and revolutionise the media to accommodate our increasingly cosmopolitan world. Shows like The Real showcase women from different minority ethnic groups discussing socially prevalent issues affecting ALL women, highlighting there is no distinction in the issues we face based on race!
Headband (Scarf) : Twenty8Twelve | Necklace : Market (Turkey) | Bracelet : Market (Nigeria)
How can a caucasian female be praised for rocking the same cornrows her BME counterparts are mocked for naturally having? Why is a big booty the pinnacle of a fit body only when squatted for? I could go on and on about the double standards with race and popular culture, but its tiring. Wahala no dey for a more universal appreciation of black culture, but whats really being done with it? As erroneous as it may be, there's this glitch in society that allows for better reception if from an alternative source. The Jenners, Biebers, and Rachel Dolezal's of the world need to wake up and use their platforms to effect positive change, rather than just indulging in self-gratification. Some may argue that's exactly what the latter did with hers, but it was deceptively packaged. Tired of seeing figures build empires on the premise of being an anomaly in the industry, when the same cannot be replicated vice-versa.
I am not saying "[black] culture] is just for black people alone to enjoy and cherish. Culture is for everybody." Spike Lee...but as inclusive as its enjoyment is becoming, so also should its positive output be. 

No comments