Losing Heart

Another month, another book. I was sent a digital copy of 'Losing Heart' by the author, Donna Brown, to read and review. This is a gripping novel about Helen, who having waited months for a heart transplant, is given a second chance at life. Her gratitude following the successful surgery sees her reach out to the mother of the donor heart in what starts as a promising friendship, but soon turns into one plagued with lies, secrets and deceit. She soon discovers that "Mother [doesn't always] know best" Chapter 11.
Tartan Shirt : Motel Rocks | Skirt : ZARA | Sandals : TJ Maxx

I was a bit apprehensive at first, picking up a book with such a gory cover, but all initial doubts were soon dispelled as I quenched its contents. As tension mounts, I was challenged to dig deep into my psyche and question my own moral values, the choices I'd make in Helen's shoes, and my definition of love and the cost I was willing to pay for it. That was one of the overriding themes; the price paid for something you love. Whether it be a spouse, spawn or survival...all was called to question when someone dangled a threat to it on the line. 
Portobello Road, Camden
Tipping Point is defined as the point at which a series of small changes or incidents become significant enough to cause a larger, more important change. When one has endured a near-death experience, has kept up a sham marriage, and is in the creative industry? It's no surprise that the culmination of all these factors would cause one to question one's current existence. I think we've all been there at one point or other in our lives where we feel we can no longer endure "another evening of biting [your] tongue until it might as well bleed" Chapter 1. The trick is not to let a recurring thought become your mantra, as that will drive you crazy and "guilt never had a deadline" Chapter 1. Love and life aren't "a Hallmark movie" Chapter 1; it's ridden with flaws and failure, but that's not to rule it out as any less lived. If you are truly displeased with a current situation, then make the right informed choice that isn't selfish and takes all factors into consideration, and make your peace with it. The protagonist, Helen, does that right at the end and although I had my qualms with the process, I believe it was the best choice for her and all concerned in light of the circumstances.
Watch : Guess | Sandals : TK Maxx
"Stay scared because it's the only way you'll stay safe" Chapter 10. As a Christian, I am learning the hard lesson that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 9:10), and that's truly the basis on which I stand firm in my faith (although it's wavered of late). It's often misunderstood that to live in fear robs you of the passion and authenticity necessary to truly drive you to the peak of success and self-actualisation. I argue instead that to err on the side of caution grants you the unrivalled benefit of making objective decisions on the basis of the better weighted factor. What I mean is, to live in fear of a higher power allows you to displace responsibility on a bigger source and act within your capacity alone. Helen does that; controlling and navigating what she can, but relinquishing control of her daughter, husband, nemesis and lover as truly the best way of being "forewarned is forearmed" Chapter 7. The best way of achieving this is  demonstrated perfectly by Helen; stepping back, doing your adequate research and all you reasonably can, and leaving all aside.
"We're all entitled to a second chance" Chapter 11

No comments