Bae

I can't scroll down my Instagram feed these days without running into endless 'bae' flicks and pics. Whether its self-timed, selfie-stick'd usies or carefully stationed candids *side eye*, the e-world can't seem to get enough of instafamous couples these days. And its only set to get worse in the lead up to Valentine's Day this weekend. Flowers, gifts, romantic dinners and getaways will be plastered online in a bid to parade 'genuine' sentiments of endearment to others, showcasing that one's love is evidently real. Sometimes, I can't help but croon along to Tina Turner when glancing at these pics, asking "what's love got to do with it?"
Shirt : Marks & Spencer | Leather Skirt : H&M | Jumper : Forever 21
I've already taken a stance against plastering my love and affection for baes, boos and who-have-you's online, but I can't help but reiterate the point as VDay draws near. I understand that it is our desire to be intimate and to be loved by another, but apparently love is not our only emotional need. As a former Psychology student, I feel it only right to draw your attention to findings that among our basic needs are the need for security, self-worth, and significance. If I feel loved by bae, I feel secure in bae's presence & that in turn, enhances my sense of significance. That might explain the need to let all know, but reel it in! I'm not bitter; far from it. I enjoy PDA, but don't appreciate the facade some are putting on, in a bid to garner more likes and followers on social media accounts. Not to mention how it drowns life prior to, and besides that lived with bae.
A good friend of mine alluded to the thesis that bae was an acronym meaning 'before anyone else' (the jury is still out on its accuracy). On that basis, it makes sense why every picture from the moment you're official to the day you walk down the aisle (or sign divorce papers after hiring me as your counsel *lol*) is either a selfie or an usie with bae *yawn*.  Again, my psychology degree prompts me to overstate the well-known value of physical touch as a means of communicating love to bae. However, having been the friend who's been resurrected following a break-up, I can't help but poke flaws in this setup. I, for one, know how addictive social media is. So I see why a doubled like quota on couple pics with bae can lead one to post more. Whats the harm? Especially as you honestly love bae, and want to spend more time with bae, and show the world just how much bae really means to you, and...bae bae bae! Ah! Abeg...HUSH!
Necklace : Diva (Abuja) | Chelsea Boots : Dorothy Perkins
I've seen girls go from social butterflies cruising with friends, to candlelit recluses only venturing out when bae is glued to the hip, posting up nonsensical hand shots over the meal table. How about you relish the time you actually spend with bae, instead of spending half the meal finding good light to capture that perfect moment? The key ingredient is giving bae quality time is giving your undivided attention, instead of just being in close proximity with one another. New age couples have forgotten the value of dating and courtship; creating the sense of togetherness pursuing a common interest which help communicate care, and genuine joy in each other's company. Again, I will state that I am not 100% against putting up pics of bae; I just think a balance needs to be struck. I blame social media and certain celebs for the 'rise of bae', as I have come to term it, but perhaps it's time we put our smartphones and selfie sticks down & really just indulged in couple time & quit overselling the #BaeLife.
"Love...does not boast" 1 Corinthians 13:4

No comments